Removing a Seized Lens Filter

10 years 3 weeks ago #129466 by LukeWeymark
Hi All,

I recently dropped my Nikon D90, which has cracked the filter on the end of the lens.

The glass hasn't smashed altogether, its just cracked, but now I can seem to be able to get the filter off the lens.

The filter is slightly bent in one place where it took the impact of the drop, which I'm assuming is why I can't get the filter to unscrew.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can remove the filter safely without damaging the lens?

If you've got any ideas I'd really love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Luke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #129468 by MLKstudios
Use one of those rubbery things used to open jars.

HTH

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

10 years 3 weeks ago #129472 by McBeth Photography

MLKstudios wrote: Use one of those rubbery things used to open jars.

HTH

:agree:

Sounds like experience to me.

It is what it is.

10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #129473 by MLKstudios
Never had a stuck filter.

I've removed many for others.

We'll, maybe once. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

10 years 3 weeks ago #129491 by Screamin Scott
I've never gotten one stuck (since I rarely use them). I have however gotten a Nikkor 35-70 F3.5 offof eBay that had one stuck. Couldn't get it off no matter what I tried. Wound up using a spanner to remove the ring that holds the glass in place & thus the glass itself. Since I use it on a crop camera, I haven't had any vignetting issues when using the hood...You might consider doing the same if the ring itself won't budge.If the drop was that hard to get the filter stuck, just hope that it didn't throw out the alignment of the lens elements...Might pay to send it off to Nikon. Which lens was it anyway?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

10 years 3 weeks ago #129499 by chasrich
Most important... Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty :woohoo:

Another method is to collapse the filter by bending it in more... Careful this might damage the lens!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

10 years 3 weeks ago #129545 by TheNissanMan
Used to have a problem with an old polariser, found that marigolds did the job although looks odd having one marigold in your bag...

10 years 3 weeks ago #129556 by chasrich
OK - this Yank had to go look it up...

A Marigold is a rubber glove in British English, especially a yellow or orange one used for washing dishes...

In American English we call a rubber glove a... Wait for it... A rubber glove. Go figure? :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

10 years 3 weeks ago #129557 by MLKstudios
Thanks, chas!

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

10 years 3 weeks ago #129599 by Joves
Like Chas said you can bend it in till it comes out. You will have to break the glass out first. Use a pair of needlenose pliers and bend it out. I have done it many times.

10 years 3 weeks ago #129600 by Henry Peach
We had some of these at the camera shop for removing stuck filters for folks, but I've used the above mentioned methods too.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/251749-RE...r_Wrench_Set_of.html

10 years 3 weeks ago #129623 by chasrich

Henry Peach wrote: We had some of these at the camera shop for removing stuck filters for folks, but I've used the above mentioned methods too.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/251749-RE...r_Wrench_Set_of.html

Good to know - thanks!

10 years 3 weeks ago #129629 by MLKstudios
They are what you leave on the table while you go look for that rubber thing you put in a drawer, somewhere.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021

If you think a nearly decade-old camera can't still hack it, you're wrong. Though it isn't perfect, the Fujifilm X-E2 is still a solid camera.

Sep 02, 2021

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 is five years old now, but does it still pass muster as a quality camera in 2021? Find out in this detailed review!

Aug 24, 2021

The original Olympus OM-D E-M10 is still a solid buy in 2021. Check out this complete review to learn why.

Aug 16, 2021

Latest Articles

With these wedding photography accessories, you'll not only look good, but you'll also have gear that helps improve your workflow.

Sep 16, 2021

There are many benefits of buying used lenses, not the least of which is that you can save some money. Check out this guide for even more reasons to buy used.

Sep 15, 2021

Understanding what to charge for commercial real estate photography services is paramount to your success - now and in the future.

Sep 14, 2021

In this year's edition of our holiday gift guides, we've got some fantastic gifts for photographers that will cost you less than $150

Sep 14, 2021

There are many advantages of LED lighting for portraits. Learn a few of the best benefits of this kind of lighting in this portrait photography lighting tutorial.

Sep 13, 2021

Use these beginner photography tips to learn how to get started in photography and how to be comfortable behind the lens.

Sep 13, 2021

In this short guide, learn a few tips on how to print photos so you can get beautiful prints of your favorite images quickly and easily.

Sep 13, 2021

Use these tips for printing on metal, including guidance on the best images for metal prints, to get the most impressive results.

Sep 10, 2021