Poll Results: How many photographers actually have a UV filter on their lenses at all times?

10 years 3 weeks ago #131054 by PhotographyTalk
Yesterdays Facebook poll asked the question: " How many photographers actually have a UV filter on their lenses at all times?".

We had 495 photographers vote on this question and the numbers are in, with a winning vote of 318 photographers who said they DO use a UV filter at all times. So it looks like 177 were with out UV filter.

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 weeks ago #131084 by McBeth Photography
I'm one of the minority that thinks the protection factor for lenses is overrated when using a UV filter...use the hood and things will be fine. :thumbsup:

It is what it is.

10 years 3 weeks ago #131443 by MLKstudios
I'm behind the minority 100%. Hope that doesn't make them the majority?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

10 years 3 weeks ago #131448 by Stealthy Ninja
I had my bag drop recently shattering the protective filter I had on the front (trying to keep moisture out, not relying on it for drop protection.

The hood I had on did nothing to help (because it was on backwards).

HOWEVER the Think Tank™holster I had it in stopped the camera and lens from being damaged. Thanks Think Tank™.

We've discussed this before, never rely on a filter for drop protection, it's to keep dust/sand/moisture out... I was just unlucky and wasn't trying to have it as a drop protection.

Now, I don't have a filter on any of my lenses at the moment. My lenses are mainly weather sealed so I don't need a filter most of the time. Though I might grab one for the 105 micro as that seems to not be sealed... and I might get anotherone to replace the one on the 28-300 (which had it's UV filter smashed).

BTW when my uv filter smashed, the front element wasn't damaged at all. It's really hard to damage a front element. I'm more worried about dust/moisture getting in the lens...

10 years 3 weeks ago #131450 by robbie
I don`t use filters for protection of the lens,I will use it for photographic use if needed though.

10 years 2 weeks ago #133391 by Borrowlenses
Every one of our lenses goes out with a UV filter. Also, I've shot with and without them (sometimes I take them off, sometimes I am lazy) and don't really see a difference. To each his own but I think it's smart to protect the lens.

Online Camera Gear Rental - www.BorrowLenses.com

10 years 2 weeks ago #134959 by Dragonflies
Well it's the 70-200mm and certain wide angle lenses that will be effected more with vignetting from having a filter on them

10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #135001 by Henry Peach
Here's a link to a Flickr conversation where a fellow claims he was advised by Canon reps not to use UV filters.

www.flickr.com/groups/canon_50mm/discuss/72157603907741669/

"I attended a Canon sales event at Calumet in San Francisco a while back and the two Canon reps said that they have begun recommending lens hoods and no lens filter. Canon technicians gave them a very involved technical reason, but when they started doing their own tests, they were instantly convinced that a filter lowers sharpness and provides problems like reflections. ... Do what they suggested: go outside and photograph a tree with and without a filter. The results will be clear. " -Michael Martin

I think that advice is good: go out and do your own testing. See if it's a problem for your photography. I regularly get told about problems I don't seem to have, and have problems that don't seem to affect others. You have to check for yourself, even if using the same gear, because maybe you are doing something a little bit different or are facing a different situation. Digital makes personal testing easier than ever. If I owned a UV filter I'd try it myself, but I stopped using them long ago, and don't think I own any that will fit my DSLR lenses.

Here's an old article, 2006, but it has some test shot examples.

www.shootsmarter.com/will-crockett-artic...ion-good-idea-or-not

Lot's of other great stuff at shootsmarter.com too.

10 years 2 weeks ago #135016 by chasrich
If one filter is bad then you might cut down the testing time and try stacking UV filters... eventually I bet you get a noticeable difference. I'll still use a UV when the environment is such that a lens hood won't protect it like a windy day at the beach.:woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

10 years 1 week ago #135680 by Joves
I have an old 77mm UV filter I use for a drink coaster. If I use any for protection against dust and water, I use the Clears. The only other filters I use are for effect and not for protection.

9 years 11 months ago #145032 by Archie
You know I have kept filter on my lenses to keep the glass from getting scratches. Recently I have been thinking this isn't necessary and questioning if needed.

Would like to know how many of you keep a filter on your lens at all time for protection?

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #145036 by Stealthy Ninja
Merged Archie's topic with this one.

Next time please consult this:
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...re-starting-a-thread

Thanks.

9 years 11 months ago #145065 by MLKstudios
Time for some ninja training, SN.

Archie replied to advice given on this thread. He didn't start a new one.

Chill.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021

If you think a nearly decade-old camera can't still hack it, you're wrong. Though it isn't perfect, the Fujifilm X-E2 is still a solid camera.

Sep 02, 2021

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 is five years old now, but does it still pass muster as a quality camera in 2021? Find out in this detailed review!

Aug 24, 2021

The original Olympus OM-D E-M10 is still a solid buy in 2021. Check out this complete review to learn why.

Aug 16, 2021

Latest Articles

With these wedding photography accessories, you'll not only look good, but you'll also have gear that helps improve your workflow.

Sep 16, 2021

There are many benefits of buying used lenses, not the least of which is that you can save some money. Check out this guide for even more reasons to buy used.

Sep 15, 2021

Understanding what to charge for commercial real estate photography services is paramount to your success - now and in the future.

Sep 14, 2021

In this year's edition of our holiday gift guides, we've got some fantastic gifts for photographers that will cost you less than $150

Sep 14, 2021

There are many advantages of LED lighting for portraits. Learn a few of the best benefits of this kind of lighting in this portrait photography lighting tutorial.

Sep 13, 2021

Use these beginner photography tips to learn how to get started in photography and how to be comfortable behind the lens.

Sep 13, 2021

In this short guide, learn a few tips on how to print photos so you can get beautiful prints of your favorite images quickly and easily.

Sep 13, 2021

Use these tips for printing on metal, including guidance on the best images for metal prints, to get the most impressive results.

Sep 10, 2021