What is your favorite basic filter?

12 years 7 months ago #137480 by Stealthy Ninja

Screamin Scott wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Honestly you only really need the following:
Circular Polarizer.
Grad ND of some kind (you can try different ones)
ND (different stops for different effects).

Everything else can be done in post.

I would add an IR pass filter like a Hoya R72 as the IR in photoshop just doesn't cut it (provided you don't have a DSLR with a strong anti -aliasing filter that is...)

True mate, if you wanna do that sorta shot.
12 years 7 months ago #137607 by MLKstudios
All photo tools are personal choices. After you learn the camera, then you'll know if you need a macro, or a polarizer, or a tripod, or a telephoto lens, or a wide angle lens, or a bigger bag, or whatever. Let those things evolve.

Buying new gear doesn't automatically make your pictures better. Learning to use what you have already will.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: louiskf
12 years 7 months ago #137630 by Stealthy Ninja

MLKstudios wrote: All photo tools are personal choices. After you learn the camera, then you'll know if you need a macro, or a polarizer, or a tripod, or a telephoto lens, or a wide angle lens, or a bigger bag, or whatever. Let those things evolve.

Buying new gear doesn't automatically make your pictures better. Learning to use what you have already will.

Matthew :)

Not if your a paparazzi who NEEDS the grainy shots of Paris (the futatrix, not the city) then that 800mm lens your magazine buys you will help better real fast.

I actually agree. Even I'll go so far as to say a new lens will make you worse (till you learn to use it that is).
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #137639 by MLKstudios
This is an old saying by Paul Strand (pre-digital of course):

"One camera, one lens and one film"

What he meant was, anything else is a distraction to your photography.

While I understand his point, and it should be considered. I also think you can be more creative with the right tools (ex. lenses). But the tools YOU need, may not be the same tools someone else needs.

The gear you choose along the way affects your shooting style, and vis-versa. For example, after you buy a macro (for something specific you want to do with it), you'll end up taking more close up pictures. Same is true for any other focal length. It changes how YOU see the world around you.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #137643 by Stealthy Ninja
Yeh true. Like Scotty would love a 35 1.4. Me I'd go for a 24 1.4. Each person should choose what THEY need.

I NEED a 200-400 f/4

Anyone feeling the NEED to buy me one drop me a line. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024