kit lenses

12 years 5 months ago #160490 by 65byi
Are they really any good for anything? I seem to read a lot that advises people to chuck them and get this lens or that lens. What is "wrong" with kit lenses?

12 years 5 months ago #160491 by 4UThomas
Nothing is wrong with them, they are just slow. You are limited with what you can do with them.

12 years 5 months ago #160495 by Baydream

4UThomas wrote: Nothing is wrong with them, they are just slow. You are limited with what you can do with them.

:agree: They are an inexpensive way to get started. Your next step up (other than something like a 50mm f/1.8 prime) is usually hundreds of dollars. You will lose a bit of clarity, especially if you do a big enlargement (minor distortion, etc.) and they are not very good in low light but most of the time, you will do fine. Th e"glass" is not the same quality and the manufacturing tolerances are lower to keep cost down.
It's like saying, ditch that Ford Explorer and get a Lincoln Navigator. Budget is a major factor. A lot of the "chuckers" are not spending their money. ;)
Yes, I would love to have some faster lenses but won't go in debt to finance them.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #160604 by Henry Peach
I think it's mostly about upgrade fever. I've been given a few "soft" kit lenses to test, and they always worked fine in my hands. Then again I find large apertures very useful, so I never buy slow lenses.

Like all lenses, sometimes the kit lenses can be lemons. They are just as likely to be gems. Most of the time they are perfectly functional. Considering that every test I've seen comparing pro lenses of the same model shows a significant variation in image quality i would imagine it's even more so with the kit lenses. Just because another photographer gets a slightly soft or razor sharp lens doesn't mean you are going to get the same quality by buying the same lens.
12 years 5 months ago #160624 by Screamin Scott
As Henry stated. you can have sample variation in any lens regardless of cost. Kit lenses usually are slower, have more polycarbonate in their construction & are less costly. When used in the middle of their fstop range, optically, most people would not be able to discern what lens a picture was taken with. The "pro" lenses give you more options with DOF, & low light captures when shooting, but that comes at the cost of costing more & being bigger & heavier.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #160679 by KCook
:agree: with the posts above. My wallet is in no hurry to replace my kit lens.

advises people to chuck them and get this lens or that lens

Usually this advice comes from pixel peepers or enthusiasts starting out with a body that is over $1000 just by itself. Affordable lenses are appropriate for affordable bodies.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024