Upgrade from kit lens advice please.

8 years 7 months ago #451468 by PaulSL
Hi,
I'm using a Canon 1200D and the 18-55mm non-is kit lens and whilst I'm getting some good results with it I really hate the focusing on it. I use a CPL filter a lot and it would be great to be able to adjust the focus without having to re-adjust the filter (due to the movement of the lens during focussing).

I don't really need a fast lens because I usually shoot landscapes, buildings, seascapes etc.

I don't have a lot of money either!

8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #451489 by Baydream
I believe that until you get into longer lenses (55m+), you may have trouble finding ones with non-rotating front lenses. That is the only way you can set your CPL first and then zoom. Unless you are shooting with the light to the side or into water, the CPL will only reduce your aperture.
You really should zoom first, then adjust CPL.  I use the Canon 18-200 for its versatility and love it.

BTW - If you primarily do landscape, you should look to a wider zoom (maybe a min of 10 or 12mm).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulSL
8 years 7 months ago #451497 by PaulSL
Thanks. Seeing as I have a very limited budget, would a Sigma or Tamron lens be ok? I'm looking to try and sell some photo's at some point in the future so I don't want to cripple myself from the outset by buying a lens that just won't cut it and having to buy twice!

8 years 7 months ago #451498 by Screamin Scott
Depends on what lens.... Both make good lenses as well as crap lenses...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #451502 by PaulSL
Thanks, I guess like everything it's just down to research before purchase!

8 years 7 months ago #451515 by KCook

I don't really need a fast lens because I usually shoot landscapes, buildings, seascapes etc.

I have good news and I have bad news for you.  The good news is that the most economical landscape lens for Canon is the 18-55, which you already have.  The bad news is that there are no good, cheap alternatives.

Cheapest alternative would be the new Canon 10-18 zoom.  Only 10mm is not very practical for most landscapes, simply too wide.  The ideal landscape zoom for Canon APS-C would cover something like 14-35mm.  There are full frame designs close to that.  But full frame zoom lenses are usually a difficult choice for Canon.  As they are either terribly expensive, or very old designs packing lots of CA.

There is the Canon 15-85, which is hardly cheap.

There are 28mm and 35mm primes.  The cheap ones are old, soft designs.  The nice ones are f/2 or faster, kind of expensive for a tight budget.

Kick the polarizer habit (I hardly ever use one) and be happy with the 18-55.

nohelpKelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulSL
8 years 7 months ago #451577 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: Kick the polarizer habit (I hardly ever use one) and be happy with the 18-55.

Kelly, CPLs do wonderful things to the sky and are not to be so handily dismissed. Especially for daylight shooting. Agree that they are not necessary during the golden and blue hours.

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #457533 by goodoldroute15
I've had particularly good luck with Sigma lenses. I have a 180 macro that is fast and sharp as a tack. As was stated earlier, you have to be particular about the lens you buy and generally speaking, you get what you pay for!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024