8 years 6 months ago #455024 by dglarson
Anyone know what an Art lens is? 

I have seen certain lenses classified or categorized as “Art” lenses. Sigma
actually has a collection of lenses that it categorizes that way. One example
is the Sigma 50mm DG HSM f/1.4. These so called art lenses generally are higher
priced than those not designated in this fashion, though there is the
occasional exception, i.e. Sigma has a 19mm f/2.8 that they classify as an art
lens but it sells for $199.
Do these lenses have any significant features that one wouldn’t find on a non-art
lens? Is any distortion at a minimum or are the optics especially good perhaps?

Does an art lens have functionality or features that make using it difficult?

Take the first example I cited above, the 50mm f/1.4. This lens retails for about
$950. So why would any photographer choose this 50mm lens over many others that
cost half or more than half as much? Sigma themselves make other 50mm lenses
that cost way less.

Consider the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar T lens. I have not seen Zeiss classify this lens as
an art lens but it is often compared to the Sigma 50mm I mentioned above. It
sells for around $625, quite a bit less money than the Sigma I mentioned but
still pricey for a 50mm f/1.4.

While I have seen the word art used to classify one lens or another in photographic
circles (e.g. forums, review articles), Sigma is the only company I know of
that uses this word in its advertising for some of its lenses. 
So is this use of the word art by Sigma simply a marketing approach for a line of
its lenses? Or does the classification or categorization of a lens as an art
lens have any real meaning?

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #455055 by garyrhook
Well, one might call that "marketing".

As for differing price points, clearly not all lenses perform comparably. There are parameters of image quality that are affected by a lens, and those parameters vary by manufacturer and lens. One must explore each offering to ascertain it's suitability, right?

Me, by way of example, I find the chromatic aberration produced by the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S G lens to be objectionable. And that's a $500 lens that is (arguably) highly admired. Net: I'd look at the Sigma ART first, should I find a need for one of those.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: dglarson
8 years 6 months ago #455066 by Screamin Scott
Lateral Chromatic aberration (not longitudinal) can be corrected in a number of different ways both in camera & in post, thus that , to me, isn't a factor as much as it might be for you... The cost is a much bigger factor in my book. I bought a Nikkor AF 50mm F1.4 off a person for $35.... Best $35 I ever spent. He had complained about the same issue & ,while I had informed him of the corrective measures he could take to rid images of it, he preferred to buy a newer iteration (G) of the lens from Nikon (which ,supposedly suffers from the same optical shortcomings). He messaged me privately about purchasing the older version at that price & I hopped on it...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #455068 by Shadowfixer1
Consider Sigma's "ART" series the same as other lens makers Pro Glass. All brands have consumer grade lenses and then they have their pro line lenses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dglarson
8 years 6 months ago #455301 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: I bought a Nikkor AF 50mm F1.4 off a person for $35.... Best $35 I ever spent.

:thumbsup:  Nice!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024