Lens and lighting kit buying advice for product photography

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #515748 by Brentr
I’m looking forrecommendations for a lens and a lighting setup for some studio product
photography for my company that sells baby and nursery products (bibs, burp
cloths, blankets, crib sheets, etc.). The products will range in size from
approx. 8”x8” to 60”x60”. I will be taking close up stills of the products,
stills of products with props (e.g. cribs, stuffed animals, etc.) and portrait
shots of products with mom’s and babies. I will also be shooting some basic video
of the products for promotional material. All photos and video will be taken in
my home studio. The room I will be working in is 23’x12’, it has several
windows so there is a descent amount of natural light, the ceiling is vaulted
starting at 8’ at one wall and extending up to around 15’ at the opposite wall.Here’s the problem...Ihave a $2000 budget. With this $2000 I would like to purchase one additional
lens and would also like to get a fairly descent lighting kit or setup
(preferably continuous lighting being that I will be shooting some video as
well). $1000 on each or $1500 on 1, $500 on the other. Current Equipment:Nikon D750Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5Nikon 50mm 1.8G Sample imagesof desired outcome are attached. *NOTE: I know it would beideal to hire a professional but we have a large quantity of products and
through researching the subject found it would be much more affordable to take
this on ourselves at this time. 

7 years 2 months ago #515750 by ThatNikonGuy
Have you seen the new Nikon 105mm f/1.4? 

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #515760 by Brentr
I haven't. Looks to be a bit out of my price range though.

7 years 2 months ago #515763 by Brentr
I'm not familiar with the 105mm f/1.4. Seems to be a bit out of my price range though.

7 years 2 months ago #516009 by KCook
The room I will be working in is 23’x12’, it has several windows so there is a descent amount of natural light, the ceiling is vaulted starting at 8’ at one wall and extending up to around 15’ at the opposite wall.

Those windows could be key.  They will work for both stills and video, as long as it is practical to limit sessions to daylight hours.  Daylight color temperature will vary with time of day and weather, so you will need to use a color checker card, and correct in post.

Otherwise, video lights will be needed for the video.  Fluorescent can be used for this, but you can expect better results with LED panels.  The same LEDs could be used for stills of the larger products.  Small LEDs are better for the small stuff, which is no problem, as these small lights are very cheap.

Continuous lights can be used with people, but this will force you to use a fast lens, with little DOF.  Flash comes in handy here, much, much more light, so an ordinary lens will work.  And there will be no worries about whether the subject moved.  A speedlight kit for studio work can be fairly cheap ($500ish).  Studio monolights will be more costly, but more flexible, covering some if not all of the product shots in addition to the model shots.

The permutations for a studio setup are truly endless.  If a local pro can help you, this would save you a lot of time.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024