question about lowest f-number lenses

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #586178 by djf123
I am going to be teaching a class in photography, and I want to be able to make a series of photos with different f-number to illustrate the effects of lens diffraction like is shown at the website photographylife.com/what-is-diffraction-in-photography. I want to make a series of photos just like this but I want to be able to use an f-number below even f/32 so that I can get an even blurrier image than what they were able to show. Can somebody recommend an inexpensive digital camera and lens for me that I can purchase to make a series of photos like the ones shown in the website link? I want to use the lowest f-number possible. How would I go about doing this? And how in the series of photos showing different f-number did they keep the light intensity the same? Wouldn't decreasing the aperture size let less light in and make for a darker image with smaller f-number?

5 years 10 months ago #586790 by fmw
I don't mean to be rude but you are not ready to teach photography.  You need to learn it first.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586813 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day DJF

Sorry to say so - but I agree with fmw here ... :(

However - to answer your question to some extent ~ I have used lenses that went down to F90 and F128- but these were 150mm and 200mm lenses bolted onto 4" x 5" plate cameras ... and it was 50-odd years ago as well.  

As you well know, the aperture in use is a fraction of the focal length of the lens ... the diameter of F8 is 1/8 the millimetres of the focal length [tho modern lens design can modify this a bit].  But every lens maker well realises that overdoing the minimum aperture of a lens will cause image degredation, and therefore will cease stopping down before that image degredation becomes an issue - even if the mechanical side of the diaphragm could be made to do it.  

It is why so many digital cameras now use an ND filter within the optical path to achieve exposure alterations, rather then trying to overdo the lens's minimum aperture

For your tutorials I would strongly suggest you use readily available commercial materials - with full accreditation to the authors - and save your energies for the easier stuff that your students will probably be more interested in

[ps: I have been an adult education lecturer in photographic techniques in eastern Australia since the mid 1970s and have been thru this 100+ times over the years.  I am happy for you to talk to me off-line if you wish to do so]

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
5 years 10 months ago #586817 by garyrhook
+1. Seriously, your final question is about the exposure triangle, and you don't know how that works?

Uh-oh.

Also, diffraction is not an issue. Who cares? It changes from lens to lens, and can vary based on aperture on the same lens. That is not an issue you concern yourself with in an introductory course, at least not right away.

Finally, for what it's worth: I have dealt with terrible CA in a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens wide open. CA is not a by product of only small apertures. Again, you should know this.

Please back out of this job. Please.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #592332 by Shadowfixer1
The blind leading the blind.:dry:
5 years 9 months ago #592405 by Nikon Shooter
I think you're heading into trouble…
you may want to reconsider!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024