Best lens for portrait

5 years 10 months ago #587027 by shielacastillo
Hi guys! What's the best lens for portraits? My camera's Fujifilm XT2. Thank you!

5 years 10 months ago #587169 by garyrhook
Portrait lenses are typically in the 75mm to 135mm range. You'll find a shorter length good for group shots, and longer can be fun for depth of field.

Do not let any one tell you that you get an "equivalent focal length of such-and-such" on a smaller sensor. You don't, because the focal length is a physical property that doesn't change. (The Fuji site, typically, has this wrong, too.) What does change is the view angle, and this is a geometry issue for the rendering of the image on the sensor. Suffice it to say that a smaller sensor will give you a smaller view angle, but for flattering portraits, think 85mm or longer. You just make it work. Ignore the marketing lies and stick to physics and geometry.

50mm is not a portrait lens. Too close, and (IMO) it distorts the shape of the face. Full body, etc, it's fine.

If it is in your budget, that XF50-140 looks sweet. If you want a prime, the 80mm f/2.8 or 90mm f/2 would be good choices.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: shielacastillo
5 years 10 months ago #587190 by KCook
The 56mm f/1.2 could work for general portraits. A little short for head shots. The 135 f/2 would be nice outdoors, maybe too long for a home studio.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 10 months ago #587204 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

As Gary points out - don't get caught by buying what magazines and non-portrait shooters quote from magazines, and the so-called 'nifty-fifty' isn't a magic all-rounder suitable for portraiture as many claim. For myself, I shoot portraits using anything from 85mm to 300mm ... it all depends on what I want of the background bokeh vs the location / distance to the subject

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 10 months ago #588120 by fmw
I used to do some executive portraiture for annual reports.  Most of the time I tried to shoot the executive doing what he or she does at work.  Most of those were shot with medium format cameras with a modest wide angle lens.  I generally shot head or torso portraits with a modest telephoto lens.  I did studio fashion shots with a medium telephoto as long as I had the room.  Outdoor fashion shots were often made with long lenses.  The point is that there is no such thing as a portrait lens.  There is only a good lens for the particular application.  Don't let people put you in a box.  Use what you have to its best advantage.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588478 by shielacastillo
Thanks guys! I'll keep in mind your suggestions. But I also have to consider my budget :)  Thanks once again!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024