Looking to buy a new lens, and I need your advice!

5 years 10 months ago #587205 by Rayan-Almuslem
I have a Canon T6i and I am looking to buy a new lens, I am mostly interested in product photography, sharpness and image quality is super important to me. I am currently using a kit lens which is Canon EFS 18-135mm and I am thinking about buying Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art and it's very expensive so I need to get some advice from an expert before buying it. Is it worth it or not? Am I ganna see a big difference in the quality? What is your advice to me?

5 years 10 months ago #588039 by garyrhook
If you're not ready to assess the value of a lens, it seems to me that you're not ready to buy one.

If you want to do product photography, you need two things: a reasonably long lens, and a tripod. The Sigma might be okay above 85mm, but I'd suggest a macro lens at 90mm or more. You want longer to mitigate any geometric anomalies you'd get with a shorter focal length.

If you're still not sure, rent one if you can. Not knowing where you're located (fill out your profile?) I can only suggest.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: fmw
5 years 10 months ago #588106 by fmw
If your goal is to replace your existing zoom lens with one you view as a better one with a more modest zoom range I would say it makes sense.  If you want to add a zoom lens the range of which is already covered by your current zoom I would think it makes little sense.

What does make sense is what gary said above about investing in a macro lens.  I happen to do product photography every day.  I use a 60mm macro lens on a APS-C sensor camera and get excellent results.  Not only do macro lenses have the ability to focus closer but they also have a flatter field for better depth of field and edge performance.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024