Manual lenses vs autofocus lenses?

5 years 7 months ago #600789 by TGonzo
I'm considering some lenses that are manual focus only.  Will your camera still meter light and show where you need to be at for correct exposure?  

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600811 by Nikon Shooter
The light meter and the AF are in the camera. The AF will still
confirm focus.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600851 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day TG

Back 1000 yrs ago in film camera days - all lenses were manual focus until maybe the 80s when some autofocus started to be seen. During this time the exposure side of lens operations ticked along 'just beaut' and should continue for you today :)

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 7 months ago #600929 by KCook
If native mount, yes. If you are adapting an old lens, AE, or even automatic aperture stop down may not work.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 7 months ago #601779 by fmw
I use the Fuji X mirrorless system.  I have some adapted lenses from Pentax, Nikon, Zeiss, Leitz and Yashica that have no electronics at all.  I can use aperture priority or manual metering with any of them.  All focus aids work as well.  I believe the same would be true for any other mirrorless brand.  Back in the 80's I had no idea how good the Yashica lenses were.  I know now, however.

I have no experience with adapting SLR lenses of non-native mount to DSLR's so I won't go there.  I think in most cases an adapter with optics is necessary and I wouldn't recommend that.  Mirrorless cameras have a short distance between the back of the lens and the sensor so there is room for adapters that are akin to extension tubes but with the appropriate mounts on them.  No optics required.  We mirrorless users often use adapted lenses with differing mounts.  Not so easy with DSLR's

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #601793 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day fmw

Agreed mate ... I also have some manual lenses that I bolt onto my Panny mirrorless from time to time, and it's fun to play with them as well. However, I do like the speed of the electronics today, so I don't do it all that often :(

Like you, I have - again long ago - come to appreciate that second-tier camera / lens makers can and do produce stuff that performs as good as the big names but for 1/2- their price ... and Yashica was one of those makers

I think that 'good photography' is more the skill of the user than the high price of the equipment used - something that seems overlooked by many today

5 years 7 months ago #602088 by fmw
The high end Yashica lenses in the 80's and 90's were made by Kyocera, the same company that made most of the Zeiss lenses for 35mm SLR's.  They are really very good.  My Yashica 80-200 f4 zoom is the best zoom lens I have ever used in that focal length range and I have used some really good ones including the Nikon 80-200 f2.8.  I also have the 135mm f2.8 which sharp, contrasty and virtually free of aberrations.  Yashica was never a big brand in 35mm but I have to say their lenses were amazing.

I'm too old to worry about speed so I use them regularly.  I have a perfectly competent Fuji telephoto zoom but I prefer the Yashica because it is better optically.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602107 by Screamin Scott
Since the OP hasn't indicated what camera they have, we can only assume how effective a manual focus lens would work for them, given the limitations of lots of models.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602140 by Screamin Scott
I believe Tomika made a number of manual focus lenses for Yashica.... I still have the older screw mount Yashica cameras, both SLR  rangefinder

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602150 by fmw

Screamin Scott wrote: I believe Tomika made a number of manual focus lenses for Yashica.... I still have the older screw mount Yashica cameras, both SLR  rangefinder

I'm sure you are correct.  Yashica and Contax shared the same bayonet mount.  Folks knew you could use either brand of lens on either camera.  The Yashica lenses were marked Yashica or YUS.  The Contax lenses were marked Zeiss.  They weren't identical in terms of design but they both had the same build quality and comparable performance.  One could own a Contax and mount Yashica lenses for the same result as they would have mounting the more expensive Zeiss branded lenses.  Or vice, versa, of course.

I have two Zeiss lenses.  My 300mm Tele-Tessar is one of the few SLR lenses made in Germany by Zeiss.  They also had them made by Kyocera.  I also have a Zeiss Touit 32mm lens for my Fuji system which was made in Japan by Cosina.  Both are outstanding optics.  And the Yashicas are just as good.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024