Beginner Lens for Beginner DSLR (Nikon d3400)

5 years 3 months ago #625326 by eastcoast
I have a Nikon 3400 and I am looking for a lens that would be good to add to my setup. (Really I only have to two stock lens that came with the camera) 

I know it does not have a full-sensor but what I want is to be able to get as much background blur as I can without only taking portrait photos. So basically when I get pretty close to the subject and focus the background gets pretty blurred but I would love to be able to get this same look when the subject is a little farther away. 

The first image is from the blogger @tezza and I like the focal blur in the background. (Obviously she uses a much high quality professional camera but just the idea) 
The second image is from my nikon d3400 with the kit lens. I can get some blur when taken closer to the subject but I can't get the same blur when I back farther away similar to how her photo is.

Any advice on a lens that would work for the camera I have to get a similar effect. 

Attachments:
5 years 3 months ago #625668 by Sharna Lee
Nikon 18-200mm 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626371 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day eastcoast

I would also agree with an 18-200 lens as probably the best compromise for you at the moment. Whether it is a Nikon or Tamron or Tokina matters not ~ they are all regarded as 'good quality' lenses & it comes down to your budget

Insofar as blurry backgrounds, if you were to repeat the shot of your 2nd example, but using the 18-200 in the 135-200 range, you will achieve a beautiful, blurry background via the zoom while the subject will be beaut & sharp

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 3 months ago #626375 by garyrhook
You don't mention budget.

The big issues here are:
  1. distance to subject and distance to background, and
  2. speed of the glass.
Faster glass makes more blur at wider apertures.

The suggested 18-200 is a fine lens, but maximum aperture is only 3.5 (IIRC). That said, if you can set our distances, you can get good results. You'll need to learn how to do this. In fact, you should be learning how to do this with the equipment you already have.

You can also consider a used Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens, which can be had for less than $400. A good copy will do you well.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024