Sigma 85mm/1.4 Art on Canon t7i?

5 years 2 months ago #627592 by mecoulter
Hi all, I am new to this forum and fairly new to photography. I currently have a Canon t7i and while I would love to get an upgraded body, right now I only have the budget for a lens OR a body. From what I've read, the lens is going to be the first choice to upgrade? 

I have a local camera shop not far from me that has a Sigma 85mm/1.4 Art lens I can rent, but is this compatible with my Canon t7i? Quick internet search says theres some error that pops up but from what I can see I can just ignore that and use it anyway. Is this true?

I'd rather rent from the local business than from a website. I was looking at the Canon 85mm 1.2L but the shop doesn't have that for me to try out. Any advice welcome, sorry if I sound like an idiot! I'm doing my best to learn!

4 years 10 months ago #643560 by tcananphoto
Both the Sigma 85mm/1.4 Art and Canon 85mm/1.2 are excellent lenses.  They are designed for full frame cameras, but they should also work on cropped-sensor cameras like your Canon t7i.  The Canon t7i specs indicate it has an APS-C sensor, which means it is cropped, not full-frame.  The crop factor for Canon APS-C cameras is typically 1.6.  So you need to multiply the 85mm by 1.6 for your camera and that means that the lenses you mentioned will effectively be 136mm lenses for your camera.  If you really want to shoot at an 85mm focal length on your camera, then a 50mm lens built for full frame cameras may be more appropriate. The Sigma 50mm/1.4 Art lens is also an excellent lens--that will yield an effective focal length of 80mm on your camera's sensor. Both the Sigma Art and Canon L lenses are excellent.  You will find the Sigmas are indeed heavier, if that is an important consideration for you. Good luck!

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #643561 by garyrhook

tcananphoto wrote: The crop factor for Canon APS-C cameras is typically 1.6.  So you need to multiply the 85mm by 1.6 for your camera and that means that the lenses you mentioned will effectively be 136mm lenses for your camera.  If you really want to shoot at an 85mm focal length on your camera, then a 50mm lens built for full frame cameras may be more appropriate.

No, no, no. Please.. just stop.

Nothing can change the focal length of a lens. You can not modify the physical attributes of the glass by sticking it onto a different camera.

What changes is one thing: the view angle, which is smaller on a smaller sensor. This is a geometry issue only. An 85mm lens remains an 85mm lens no matter where it used. Whether you can get a desired image rendering out of it is a separate issue.

The manufacturers did everyone a huge disservice by trying to compare smaller sensors to a 35mm frame, and then misrepresenting how that image will be rendered. First off, how many people worked with film? Long enough to know what a 35mm frame looks like? And then moved to digital? I'll wager not nearly enough to matter. Most of us have no point of reference. That makes the comparison meaningless.

And if you read carefully, most manufacturers state "comparable view angle". Not all, I've seen, but most. This is unfortunately misinterpreted often. Nonetheless, the "crop factor" applies to the viewing area through the lens. Nothing more, nothing else.

And unless you're comparing how a given lens behaves on one camera vs. another with a differently sized sensor, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether the lens produces what you want. And if you want to do close-up portraiture, get an 85mm lens, or longer.

The OP started out asking about compatibility. I'm only familiar with Nikon, but Canon appears to enjoy a comparable level. And if the OP has a local spot that rents equipment, I would encourage the OP to take the camera into the establishment and try it out there. And talk to them about how lenses work on Canons. They'll likely be happy to explain it all to you.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #643627 by tcananphoto
Yikes, I didn't meant to cause such a strong reaction.  I agree there is no changing the focal length of a lens; I was just pointing out that the there is a difference on how a single lens may fill the sensor of a full frame camera vs. a cropped sensor camera.  I used the term "effective" suggesting the results are different.  If the same photo is taken from the same position with an 85mm lens on a full frame camera and a cropped-sensor camera, the result will be different.  I never asserted the physical attributes of the lens changes; rather, the results of the shoot from the same lens has an "effective" difference depending on the type of sensor in the camera. If the OP was used to shooting with 85mm on a film SLR, they need to understand that to achieve the same result in an APS-C Canon using the same 85mm lens, they will need to stand farther back from the subject. So if they don't want to get used to standing farther away to achieve the same result, then maybe a 50mm lens might be more appropriate.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024