AmazonBasics filters?

9 months 1 week ago #629578 by bryanp267
I hate to ask and then get bombarded with the typical "you get what you pay for".  I expect that already though.

I finally settled on a D5600 kit with a 70-300mm and a 18-55mm.  I wasn't thinking and didn't pay enough attention to realize my old filters won't fit the new 18-55mm lens.  

Rather than just jump straight to B+W, I was considering the AmazonBasics filters for a simple UV and CPL. 
They're inexpensive and look like they produce decent results.  Has anyone used them or have experience with them?  I figure they can function as a stop-gap until I can convince the wife I need to spend another $100 on little pieces of glass for the front of my lenses lol.  (I know it's more than that, but she doesn't get it).


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 months 1 week ago #629581 by Nikon Shooter

bryanp267 wrote: I was considering the AmazonBasics filters for a simple UV and CPL. 


You don't really need a UV filter with digital, there you just saved
a few bucks. But when it comes to the CPL… don't go too cheap.
…could be a very nasty experience, Bryan. HTH.


Light is free… capturing it is not!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 months 1 week ago #629839 by bryanp267

Nikon Shooter wrote:
You don't really need a UV filter with digital, there you just saved
a few bucks. But when it comes to the CPL… don't go too cheap.
…could be a very nasty experience, Bryan. HTH.


I don't think I ever really considered not needing a UV for digital.  I have always used one without thinking about it.  As for CPL.  I have a Quantaray that fits my 300mm, but my 55mm is a smaller diameter than my old lenses.
I guess the worst I can do is give the less expensive ones a try and if it sucks just be out a little money.  I know when it comes to ND I won't cheap though.
Thanks!


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 4 days ago #643628 by fmw

bryanp267 wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote:
You don't really need a UV filter with digital, there you just saved
a few bucks. But when it comes to the CPL… don't go too cheap.
…could be a very nasty experience, Bryan. HTH.


I don't think I ever really considered not needing a UV for digital.  I have always used one without thinking about it.  As for CPL.  I have a Quantaray that fits my 300mm, but my 55mm is a smaller diameter than my old lenses.
I guess the worst I can do is give the less expensive ones a try and if it sucks just be out a little money.  I know when it comes to ND I won't cheap though.
Thanks!


UV filters weren't neede for film photography either.  UV filters are a plain, clear (or coated), flat piece of optical glass.  All glass filters some UV just like the clear or coated glass in your lenses.  UV "filters" are sold for protecting the front element of the lens.  They are used for that purpose on lenses whether they are attached to film or digital camera.


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

802.3K

205K

1.62M

  • Facebook

    802,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    205,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

In this Panasonic G9 review, we take a look at its essential features, its build quality, compatible lenses, and other crucial details to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Nov 04, 2019

In this Canon EOS 7D Mark II review, we outline the pros and cons of this camera and identify whether it's still a good buy in 2019.

Oct 25, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Winter photography can be a challenge for sure. But with these tips for winter photography, you can prepare yourself (and your gear) to get the best shots.

Nov 13, 2019

One of the critical aspects of creating awesome vlogs is having footage that's stabilized. With these methods for how to stabilize a camera, you'll have plenty of options for smooth video.

Nov 13, 2019

Photo by Cristian Grecu on Unsplash A Chinese university student tumbled off of one of China's largest mountains to her in death...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Karina on Unsplash Who among us doesn't have the intrinsically human desire to get absolutely smashed, incredibly naked...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Tim Bennett on Unsplash In a year of continuously bad news for Facebook, it turns out the iOS Facebook app has been...

Nov 12, 2019

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

The new Panasonic Lumix S Pro lenses have been announced, and they have some impressive specs. But will they be worth the huge price tags?

Nov 12, 2019

nikon d5100, nikon d5100 review, nikon d5100 specs, nikon d5100 price, nikon d5100 features, used nikon d5100

Nov 12, 2019