Lenses for a Beginner in Iceland - Nikon D3400

5 years 2 months ago #630852 by Xerakon
Good morning everyone!

I opted for a trip to Iceland in June, and decided that if I'm going to be spending 2 weeks driving around the island, I should get a proper camera to keep the memories. =) So, I picked up a Nikon D3400 (which came with an AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens). I've taken a class at a local shop last weekend, and am anxious to start shooting this weekend. However, I'm now needing to start budgeting for equipment on my journey - which probably the largest expense will be lens(es).

At the photo shop, the salesman recommended a Tamron 18-400mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD lens. However, one of my amateur photo friends was telling me that a wide-angle lens would be better for the sort of sweeping landscape of Iceland. What are you guys' thoughts? I would prefer to stick with a third-party manufacturer like Tamron to lower the costs as well, but budget is somewhat open. =)

Thanks!

5 years 2 months ago #630897 by garyrhook
First off, I would recommend the Nikon 18-200 or 18-300 for a walk-around lens. I've used it (Nikon D5100) and am still happy with photos taken with it.

Secondly, if you want to do vistas, take multiple shots (portrait mode) with overlap, with the intent of stitching them together in post. Even handheld, with a bit of practice, you can get what you need and finish the work in LR.

That said, The view angle of the 18 on a crop sensor is comparable to the view angle of a 30mm lens on a full frame. Wide angle, but not super wide. You'd need a 14mm or so to get superwide. Thus my suggestion of practicing and making your own panoramic shots.

The IQ of the 18-200 is pretty good, more so for its price point. Generally recommended here. And it's not heavy, nor expensive (and can be easily found used) although it currently lists for the same price as the Tamron. I will suggest that you won't need 400mm in Iceland.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #630900 by Xerakon
Thanks for the heads up! So would you say no to a wide-angle lens then? And just try to splice together multiple shots? I was recommended a Tamron 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD as a good lens to go with.

5 years 2 months ago #630984 by garyrhook
There's nothing wrong with having a wide angle lens. But that lens doesn't add anything over a lens that is already at 18mm. You're giving up zoom for 1mm. That makes no sense.

Save lenses like that for a full frame body. IMO, of course, as someone who's done exactly what I'm suggesting you do, and has had a 17-35.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #631060 by Xerakon
Ah, that makes sense.

So looking on Amazon,

Here is the Tamron 18-200:  www.amazon.com/Tamron-18-200mm-3-5-6-3-N...igital/dp/B013HXY21E

And here is the Nikon 18-200:  www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-200mm-3-5-5-6G-T...Format/dp/B002JCSV8A

What makes up essentially a $450 price difference?

5 years 2 months ago #631070 by garyrhook
You asked about the 18-400, not the 18-200.

I can't recommend the 18-200, as I don't know anything about it. Yes, less expensive. But maybe for a reason. In which case I'd recommend renting it first to see what you think Maybe, for starting out, it's a fine choice.

I concluded your budget was in the $700 range. You can get the NIkon used, in like-new condition on Amazon, for about $400. That is, therefore an option.

If you search on this forum, you will find plenty of recommendations for the Nikon as a good walk-around lens. Not so much for the other two you mention, although they may be fine lenses.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024