What lens do I buy first? - Beginner GH4

3 years 2 months ago #638425 by tommytime
Hi... I'm a tad lost on all the lens specifics.

I have a GH4 body.... I need to shoot interviews, indoors with a semi-shallow depth of field. 

Can anyone make recommendations on a lens? Perhaps a prime lens that might can handle this?

Thank you much!

T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago #638785 by garyrhook
You're going to want light, no matter what, I would think.

That said, it's a micro 4/3s camera and any lens for that system will work. What you have to decide is your look, and how far back you want the camera. You don't want your DoF too shallow, and you'll want to test the AF tracking.

Got to a local store to try out lenses, or rent one and work with it to figure out what you want.

Photo Comments

3 years 2 months ago #638970 by Piechura
There are a few questions to consider.

Firstly is budget. I'd recommend the 12-35mm f2.8, but it's not cheap at $900.

Another thing to consider is sound recording. Will you be using a separate device or will the camera need to be close to the subject? In which case, it's no use having a lens that will mean the camera's halfway across the room. But obviously this depends on what kind of interviews you're talking about. Interviews at an event with an on camera microphone will be a different prospect to sit down interviews where you have complete control over the environment. In which case a longer, more flattering lens that doesn't have to be right in your subject's face might make them more comfortable.

And finally, obviously it depends on the sort of framing you want. Whether it's full body or just a talking head, for example.

As for primes, take a look at the following (prices from bhphoto):
Panasonic 15mm f1.7 ($600)
Olympus 17mm f1.8 ($450)
Panasonic 20mm f1.7 ($270)
Panasonic 25mm f1.7 ($150)
Panasonic 25mm f1.4 ($600)
Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 ($400)
Olympus 45mm f1.8 ($350)

I've got the 45mm f1.8 and the 20mm f1.7, and I think both are nice lenses, and both will give you a nice out of focus background. But looking at those prices, that 25mm f1.7 looks like a real bargain at the moment.

These are two pictures I took on each lens, just to give you an idea of the blurring when the aperture is wide open. The one of the bird on its own is the 45mm and the other one is the 20mm.

Make: Panasonic
Model: DMC-GH2
Lens: LUMIX G 20/F1.7
ISO: 160
Aperture: f/1.7
Shutter speed: 1/800 sec
Captured: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:22pm
Make: Panasonic
Model: DMC-GH2
Lens: OLYMPUS M.45mm F1.8
ISO: 160
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter speed: 1/1600 sec
Captured: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:21pm

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not every photo book is made alike. Some are superior to others because of the options you get. Learn what to look for in this guide.

Jun 28, 2022

What is the best camera in 2022? That's a loaded question whose answer depends on many factors. In this guide, we'll explore some great options!

Jun 22, 2022

GoPro accessories come in all shapes, sizes and price points. But which ones are the best? We offer our favorite picks in this 2022 guide.

Jun 22, 2022

Not sure how to grow your photography business? Check this beginner business guide to learn a few inside tricks to hit the ground running.

Jun 22, 2022

If you're in the market for some Sony FE lenses for your kit, use this guide to learn more about three excellent prime and zoom lens options.

Jun 22, 2022

If you want to take the best close-up images, you'll need some macro photography lenses to get the clearest, sharpest photos.

Jun 21, 2022

What is a metal print? The easy answer is that it's an image printed on metal. But the best metal prints are a product of a more intricate process.

Jun 21, 2022

After using Linksys routers for many years, I switched to a Synology Router - the RT6600ax. Here are my first impressions!

Jun 15, 2022