1600mm - Too crazy, or usable?

5 years 1 week ago #639482 by Campbell Snodgrass
My wildlife photography setup currently consists of a Canon 200D + Tamron 150-600. 
Here's what i'm thinking for my next upgrade: A Canon 7D mk ii, Sigma 500mm f4.5 EX DG HSM, and a 2x extender. With the 1.6 crop factor of the 7d, that gives me a 1600mm focal length (No need to complement my math skills). Will the images somehow be affected at such long focal lengths? I know in hotter climates the horizon can sometimes become a bit "blurry" or "wavy", almost like what you see behind an airliners engine. I live in the UK - so that is rarely an issue, but perhaps it would get amplified at such a powerful focal length? I'm fully aware i'd be stuck with a maximum aperture of f7.1, but i'd only use the 2x extender in optimal hide conditions. Any comments, or recommendations are appreciated. 
This is my first post on a photography forum, apologies if I've done something wrong!
~Campbell

5 years 1 week ago #639489 by Nikon Shooter
As for the math, you don't have to attribute any advantage
at all to the use of a cropped sensor… there is none!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #639521 by garyrhook
The smaller sensor doesn't get you any more focal length. Nothing changes the physical attributes of a lens.

What you get is a different (narrower) view angle. The pixel density of the sensor will provide more detail because there are more of them in a given space. But that's about it. That whole 1.6x thing? Forget about it.

The 2x extender will impact your image quality, possibly quite a bit. The Nikon 1.4 will take an image to 80-85% of original IQ and it's noticeable. Do some googling, but I think you'll find the 2x may not give you the results you need.

I'll also point out here that the advantage of your (alleged) 1600mm over 1000mm is a 60% bump. (1600/1000 or 1.6). In other words, it's not as significant as cramming more pixels onto that sensor (which is where your real improvement comes from).

You might want to really think about whether that 2x TC is going to pay for itself.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #639664 by the four vignettes

garyrhook wrote: The 2x extender will impact your image quality, possibly quite a bit. The Nikon 1.4 will take an image to 80-85% of original IQ and it's noticeable. Do some googling, but I think you'll find the 2x may not give you the results you need.

The Nikon 1.4 only degrades the IQ that much if you're using a meh lenses to begin with.   With a 300mm F/2.8, the reduction in IQ is hardly noticable. 

That being said, even Nikon's TC 2 III degrades the IQ even on the 300, just not a ton.  Although that can be helped by stopping it down a little. 

That being said, all TCs effect AF which is important to remember. 

That being said, I'm not sure if getting a 2x TC would work for the OP.  TCs are nice but they're far from free "focal length."  They're a trade off of IQ(how much depends on the lens), AF speed, deduced light/aperture for added effective focal length.  I like my TCs but they're not a magical tool that just adds focal length. 

5 years 1 week ago #639692 by garyrhook

the four vignettes wrote: That being said,

Is there an echo in here?

:rofl:

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #639697 by the four vignettes

garyrhook wrote: Is there an echo in here?

:rofl:

Well, you were fairly off with your IQ degradation percentage for the 1.4 TC...

4 years 11 months ago #643621 by fmw
Teleconverters are damaging to image quality.  You shouldn't use them in my view.  With the modern high res digital cameras we have today, you will do better cropping the image than using a TC.  The fixed focal length telephoto will certainly outperform your zoom lens so that is a true upgrade,  I used a 500mm f4 back in the film days and it was very effective for wildlife.  Cropping the image to the field of view of the 600mm focal length will cause no noticeable image degradation. 

I approve of the upgrade to the fixed 500.  I recommend against the TC.  Others have already explained that using the lens on a smaller format sensor doesn't provide any more telephoto power.  It simply crops the image.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #643630 by Troponin
Not all lenses are created equally, and not all of them respond the same to TCs. My Sony 200mm 2.8 looked horrendous with the x2 TC AND the 1.4, but is it a "meh" lens? Hell no, not even close. My 400mm 4.5/5.6 looks better with the 1.4! So, I ended up selling the 200, which makes me sad er'day, but it just wasn't as versatile as I needed since not being able to use the TC. 

If IQ is not the first thing on your list, TC away, but, the trade offs can be difficult when dealing with less than awesome lighting. I would find others with the exact set ups you're interested in and seeing their results. IMO, TCs are too unpredictable without renting or seeing the set up from someone else. That's a lot of cash to put up and have it fail, like my situation, and that stung quite a bit. :(

On a final note, have you ever seen these amazing wildlife shots that are so perfect, you wonder how in the world they get them? Most of them are using prime lenses and/or setting up in gilliie suits right on top of a perch next to a water or food source. Then they wait for the perfect shot. Trying to get close to a lot of wildlife with just the lens itself and getting those amazing shots is very, very tough otherwise. 

If you are going for aircrafts, I would consider a full frame camera with x1.4 on a 400 or 600mm. As long as the skies are clear, you should have good lighting in an airfield situation. Many of the full frame cameras have phase detection points better designed for action and can potentially track better, even in lower light. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024