Best superzoom?

4 years 9 months ago #649534 by Cornman
Howdy y'all. I'm looking to diversify my bag with a superzoom. Before I get a bunch of comments from the "purists" who would rather have a prime for every single focal length than a soooooperzoom, I will start by saying that I know what I'm getting into in terms of image quality with these lenses and really just want it for vacation and being able to flex on my family members who just use cell phones (jk). Also, looking at something no more than $500, and preferrably less than $400.Now that that's out of the way, I was looking at some lenses. I've heard amazing things about the canon 18-135 usm, but honestly I don't know if that will get in close enough. I went to a bear sanctuary the other day and found myself using a 50mm (didn't work well) because I never really had a need for telephoto so I never bought one. Mostly shoot landscapes. Big mistake. I don't know if 135mm would even be enough for that though. I was also looking at both sigma and Tamron offerings for both the 18-200 and 18-300. I want it to start at 18mm so I can get rid of my kit lens as well as my bag only has room for 3 lenses. That way I can just replace a not good one (18-55 III with no is and very terrible and noisy focusing) with a decent one). Users of these lenses empart your knowledge and experience upon me.

4 years 9 months ago #649544 by Wyrick Photography
What camera body do you have?

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649545 by Nikon Shooter
Right… I wanted to ask the same thing but, for the targeted
price range, I have no suggestion!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649547 by Wyrick Photography

Nikon Shooter wrote: Right… I wanted to ask the same thing but, for the targeted
price range, I have no suggestion!

Well if the OP will consider used, there are tons of options.  

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649629 by garyrhook
No, the 135 won't do it. But neither will the 18-200 or 18-300. You're looking at one of the longer ones at 15-600 or similar, if you want to reach out to wildlife. But they won't fit in your camera bag.

I can't comment further on Canon lenses, but 18-300 is quite flexible as a walk-around lens.

In general, you want to do special stuff, it will cost you.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649675 by Cornman
Oh how could I have forgotten! Thanks for reminding me :). I have a canon 80d. Also I'm not talking like actual wildlife stuff, just for zoos and sanctuary's where the animals are a bit closer in the wild. 

4 years 9 months ago #649749 by Cornman
Sorry to make a separate post but I did forget to mention that I am completely fine with used, so long as I can get something that's in good enough condition (glass is like new/not scratched and, you know, it hasn't been dropped on gravel or concrete). That should go without saying, though.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024