Help choosing a super telephoto lens for Canon 5d Mark IV

3 years 2 months ago #660110 by Bivash-Biswas-Eshik-
Hello everyone. I'm a beginner photographer who's starting to dabble in wildlife photography.I have the Canon 5D Mark IV ( Not great for wildlife per se, but i need the versatility of it).
Currently looking for a Super telephoto zoom lens.My budget allows me to go for third party manufacturers rather than L glass and i was looking at the Tamron 150-600 G2 and the Tamron 100-400 Di VC USD.I've seen lots of reviews of both and they seem very good at their price point. But the thing is i'm not sure whether the bump in reach with the 150-600 is gonna be worth it cause I've found no direct comparison between IQ of these lenses.Now i'd like to know whether:1. Is the 150-600 worth it for the extra reach it provides for a beginner wildlife photographer?2. Will the 150-600 be sharp at maximum zoom to be usable?3. Which one has better auto focus and image stabilization/ vibration compensation as i will be hand holding 99 percent of the time?4. The 150-600 is f/5-6.3 whereas the 100-400 is f/4.5-6.3. Will it make much difference?5. Should i even consider the older Sigma 150-600 contemporary?Please help me make a decision asap. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago #660111 by Nikon Shooter

Bivash-Biswas-Eshik- wrote: … but i need the versatility of it.

And that would be?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

3 years 2 months ago #660114 by Bivash-Biswas-Eshik-
Well since i dont do wildlife exclusively a cropped body was not my first choice :/ 

3 years 2 months ago #660158 by garyrhook
A crop sensor is meaningless. What matters is pixel density. Even if you have to crop your images from the mk IV, you'll still be getting 18+MP, more than adequate. So, yeah, a 7D might seem more appropriate (it's still only 20MP), but I don't think it really matters given pixel counts in modern cameras.

If you were shooting Nikon, for that price you could have had a D850, at 47MP, where cropping wouldn't matter. And Nikon has a perfectly reasonable 200-500 f/5.6 lens. Alas.

That said, for wildlife, longer is better. And neither of those are going to be amazing with IQ. So, get one, practice, and if you really need a better lens, rent one for an outing. Very few people need to own a super long lens, so why put the money into it unless you're very, very serious about using it? IMO, of course.

Photo Comments

3 years 2 months ago #660176 by Nikon Shooter
I never owned a crop… never will. The 45.7 MP of the D850
combo'ed to the 600 ƒ4 is a great tool, I used the D810 on
the 200~400 ƒ4 as well.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D5 vs D850 comparison, we take a look at the specs, features, and capabilities of these cameras so you can decide which one is right for you.

Sep 29, 2022

The Panasonic Lumix FZ300 is an older camera, but has modern capabilities like 4K video that make it a great option for today's photographers.

Sep 13, 2022

The Sony Alpha 7c mirrorless digital camera is a compact full frame rig that is an excellent introduction to shooting with a full frame body.

Aug 25, 2022

In this Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera review, get the scoop on this camera's specs and features, and learn why it's a great beginner camera.

Jul 05, 2022

Latest Articles

Are metal prints or brushed metal prints more appropriate for your images? What differences do they offer? Find out in this detailed guide!

Nov 21, 2022

You don’t have to spend a ton of money to get a great camera for 2023. Use this guide to the best cameras under $500 to find your next camera on the cheap!

Nov 17, 2022

A professional photo book should be a cut above what you typically find. So, what should you look for when getting one? Find out in this detailed guide!

Nov 16, 2022

A custom photo book is a wonderful way to display your images for yourself or for clients. In this guide, learn about different options to consider for your images.

Nov 16, 2022

The holiday season is rapidly approaching, and that means figuring out some Christmas card ideas. Check out this list for some inspiration!

Nov 15, 2022

The Hasselblad X1D II 50C is a prime example of a great medium format camera. The question is, should you switch to medium format photography in the first place?

Nov 15, 2022

With these ideas for gifts for photographers, you can give your loved one an awesome photography gift without spending more than $100.

Nov 14, 2022

One of the best features of the Canon EOS R family of cameras is that there are many Canon EOS R lens options. Get one of these options on the cheap!

Nov 14, 2022