Old Lenses & Their Worth??

2 years 7 months ago #661369 by brianwmartin
Greetings!

I am new to this forum!  I have more of an experimental hobby interest in photography but have done a few professional works as well.  I recently came into possession of some old camera equipment and I was wondering if anyone here could enlighten me as to the potential worth of these items.  There may be a better place on this site for me to be posting this so if that is the case kindly point me in that direction.  Otherwise let me know what you think.  

Firstly, I have a lens here that is pretty old:

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS REBEL T3i
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
ISO: 500
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/80 sec
Captured: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 13:30pm

ISO: 640
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec

ISO: 400
Shutter speed: 1/80 sec

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it is still worth anything?

Thanks in advance!!
Brian

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 7 months ago #661373 by Nikon Shooter
That looks like a F mount and would be
a useable entry level zoom lens.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

2 years 7 months ago #661396 by Screamin Scott
Yes, it is a Nikon mount manual focus zoom from film days. It can be used on most older Nikon film bodies and in a limited sense on  some Nikon DSLRs, mostly higher end models. As for worth, it depends on a number of factors. Most people nowadays want autofocus lenses. Plus the focal range and f number leaves a bit to be desired. It is one of Vivitars better lines of lenses but has been overshadowed by any number of newer lenses. I have one that I never use as it has an “oily aperture “, meaning the iris blades are stuck in one F stop. I could get it fixed but I have other lenses that I’d go to first.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

2 years 7 months ago #661397 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Brian

Firstly - WELCOME to the forum - you'll find heaps of people here with heaps of knowledge and heaps of enthusiasm to help in various ways :)

Secondly - I will compare your film-camera lenses of 20+ years ago to motor cars of 20+ years ago ... - yes while they were good and useful "in their day" I think that you will find that time has moved on ... and on ... and on

Older vintage, film camera / manual operation lenses have a novelty value for some collectors, but I doubt that many of today's SLR users will want to buy them. I could be wrong too :(

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 7 months ago #662051 by fmw
It looks like it is in pretty good shape.  Should bring about $20 on Ebay.

Photo Comments

2 years 7 months ago #662052 by Screamin Scott
What do you want for it?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022

This Fujifilm X-Pro 2 vs X-Pro 3 comparison review explores the similarities and differences between these cameras so you can decide which best fits your needs.

Dec 13, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

With these headshot photography tips, you'll be able to create more impactful, pleasing portraits for your clients.

May 24, 2022

Not sure what to give someone as a photography gift? Why not a personalized photo book? Check these great options out!

May 19, 2022

If you're in the market for a new lens for portraiture, check out our picks for some of the best Canon EF portrait lens options on the market today.

May 19, 2022

In this Panasonic GH5 vs GH5S matchup, you'll learn their similarities and differences, pros and cons, and get a recommendation for which one is the best buy.

May 18, 2022

Having the skills to take portraits is essential to your success. Buy you also need the right portrait photography gear to help you bring your vision to life.

May 18, 2022

The best wedding photography gear is functional and utilitarian, but also looks good. This leather lens bag ticks all those boxes!

May 17, 2022

If you're in the market for the best used 4K camera, use this guide to compare three top options from Fuji, Sony, and Canon.

May 17, 2022

An acrylic print vs canvas - which one should you get? Use this guide to learn a few questions and considerations to help you decide.

May 16, 2022