Sigma or Tamron

4 years 2 months ago #675618 by jimi79
Good day all, I have a canon 1100d and a 6d (new in 2017). I have an older Tamron 200-400 lens 75dn, I use it both on a monopod and tripod. I have found the images to be soft unless conditions are perfect or if the target is more than 100Ft away e.g. deer, birds large or small, wildlife in general is what I use it for. I found at 1/1000 to 1/1250 and F7.1 to be the best settings. F 8 too dark and requires a high iso. However I am frequently disappointed with the images and with no stabilization hand hold is not very good. With my Canon Kit lens 55-250 I get sharper images but limited reach. I have been looking at the Sigma 150-600 C and the Tamron 150-600 G2. The Sigma is about $200 cheaper here in Canada in fact the Tamron is special order only so I can even try it before purchase. The reviews are back and forth on this and I am having trouble deciding which way to go. I am strongly leaning toward the sigma as it is available locally and I have had poor luck with my current Tamron lens. 

Anyone who owns either of these lens please provide your feedback go or bad.

4 years 2 months ago #675769 by garyrhook
Can you rent the Tamron? If so, and you can try out a Sigma locally, you'll have a comparison.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675856 by jimi79
Unfortunately there is no where near me that rents lens. In fact I have to drive 1hr 45 to go to the closest retailer in the city whom does not rent. In fact there are only two retailers other than box stores and only one carries Canon products. My options are limited to tavel or order online. The only one carried is the Sigma which I can try, but the Tamron is special order so if I order it I own it.

4 years 2 months ago #675984 by garyrhook
Ugh.

Well, I was referring to BorrowLenses.com or similar (whatever may serve where you live).

Past that, the best you can do is a lot of research. And if you don't like what you buy, list it on eBay to sell and move to something else. Bummer, I know.

Are there any local meetups where you might meet other photographers? Perhaps someone else that owns one of them?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #677068 by Eerik
I haven’t used these specific lens but Sigma tends to feel like better build quality in the hand.. just my 2 cents

Eerik

4 years 2 months ago #677073 by Baydream
I had the Tamron 50-500 but changed to the Sigma 150-600. I find the lens to be very sharp even when this crazy guy shots handheld. Just my opinion but love the Sigma on my 70D and 5Diii. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024