Super Telephoto Lens For A D850

5 months 2 weeks ago #677521 by TinBC
This is my first day at the site so I thought that I'd ask for some opinions in regards to my next lens. I am shooting with a D850 and have the bases covered up to 200mm. I am looking to push out further to start shooting wildlife so I am in the market for a new lens.  I would love to own one of the high end prime lenses but alas, I don't have the five figure budget that goes with them. So with that said here are the candidates;
AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 DG HSM OS Sports
AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR
Tamron150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di 
From my reading to date I am leaning towards the way they are listed above. I like the image quality of the 200-500 but wonder if the extra 100mm that the Sigma offers would be a bigger advantage when in the field. Both allow for composition when shooting. The 500 should produce the highest quality image and is light but it is fixed and pricy to boot.
I am hoping that some of you seasoned wildlife photographers would give me your thoughts... Fixed or telephoto and that extra 100mm of reach.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 2 weeks ago #677528 by Nikon Shooter
The pixel count of the D850 is working for you in this
equation… extending your reach in a better way than
a TC ever could.

I opted to keep my "bought new some 30 years ago"
600 mm ƒ4 and added the brilliant 180 ~ 400 mm ƒ4.

With these properly mounted on gimbals and tripods I
harvest sharp and pleasingly cropped images.

I only work with IF and constant ƒ lenses.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #677565 by garyrhook
Getting back to your question...

That 600mm will buy you 20% over 500mm. Does that matter to you?

I have the Nikon, after trying out a friend's Tamron 150-600. I'm happy with the choice considering how little it gets used. My recent sandhill crane photos were taken with that lens, and the results are satisfying.

Lots of folks like that Sigma.

A teleconverter will cost you in image quality. I have the Nikon TC 1.4II and see some degradation.

You'll want a gimbal head to manage the larger lens. Handheld is really difficult, IMHO.

Being a bit of a hack, I prefer the choices allowed by a zoom, and have used my 200-500 to shoot concerts. Not just wildlife.

Photo Comments

4 months 4 weeks ago #678994 by the four vignettes
I own a 300mm f/2.8 and a 500mm f/4 and here my take on it.  A nice sharp image out of a D850 can be cropped a far bit.  TCs with a high quality prime can go a long way, but I'd stick with a 1.4 TC.  There will be image quality lose but a 1.4 isn't going to make it that much worse.  For wild life, a nice prime, a D850 and cropping can go a long way.   Since you'll almost always be cropping, having a fixed long lens is best IME.  Plus if you're that up close you don't have to get the full body.  That being said, zooms can be nice if you expect to get up close. Zooms don't play was well with TCs though.

I hand hold my 500mm but wouldn't real life y recommend it.  Getting a nice tripod or monopod setup can really help.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X-E3 review, learn about the specs, features, pros, cons, and more of this excellent entry-level mirrorless camera.

Aug 05, 2020

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

What are the best metal print companies in 2020? In this detailed metal print comparison, we discuss the pros and cons of metal prints from six leading companies.

Aug 12, 2020

With these simple post-processing tips, you will learn how to edit a landscape photo for maximum impact.

Aug 11, 2020

Not sure how to seal the deal with your clients? With these photography business tips, learn a few insider tricks for capturing more long-term business.

Aug 11, 2020

Camera straps should be an investment in something that lasts a long, long time. These specialty Star Wars camera straps from Holdfast fit the bill!

Aug 11, 2020

Having a good lens filter in your kit is paramount if you want to take the best photos. This particular lens filter might just be the best one you can buy.

Aug 11, 2020

With this list of gifts for photographers under $250, you have tons of great holiday gift ideas for the photographer on your list!

Aug 06, 2020

If your photography business is floundering, use these six simple photography business tips to get the ball rolling.

Aug 06, 2020

photo album, photo album features, best photo album, photo album layout

Aug 05, 2020