Best 2 lenses for Sony a7III

4 months 3 weeks ago #678391 by octavius2020
Hello experts,
I plan to buy 2 Sony A7iii bodies for vlogging, commercial videos, interviews, product photography and maybe some landscape photography.
I also have an approx. budget of $4,500-5,500 for 2 lenses for those bodies.
One of my friends that is a photographer told me that the best lenses to serve me in all of those photo-video areas are the following:
Sony 50mm F1.4 Planar T* FE
Sony 24-70mm F2.8 GM FE
Should I go with these lenses, or do you have other lenses to recommend?
Please let me know. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 3 weeks ago #678422 by Piechura
That's a lot of stuff to achieve with just two lenses.

For vlogging and landscape, I'd go for the 16-35mm rather than the 24-70mm. There's also a really nice looking new 20mm f1.8, which would be a great wide angle option, but I don't know if it's shipped yet and there are issues at the moment with the coronavirus.

An alternative to the 50mm f1.4 would be the 55mm f1.8, which also has great reviews.

For product photography, you might consider the 90mm f2.8 macro, and can easily be used for B-roll in commercial videos too.

If it really has to be just 2 lenses, then I'd say the 16-35mm and 24-70mm would give you the most flexibility, but would also be the most expensive. Even consider the 24-105 f4 if you don't mind losing a stop of light in exchange for the extra reach and money left over.

The following user(s) said Thank You: octavius2020

2 months 2 days ago #686611 by octavius2020
Thank you so much!

2 months 2 days ago #686621 by Piechura
Just to come back to this thread, I actually bought one myself since my original reply and I didn't get any of the lenses I mentioned above. I actually got the Sigma 24-70 instead. It's f2.8 but for not much more than the Sony f4 equivalent. I've been really happy with it so far. I think I've going to get the 20mm f1.8 next.

A much cheaper option than the 90mm f2.8 that I suggested would be to just get some extension tubes and use them on one of the other lenses. Although that Sony 90mm is supposed to be one of the sharpest lenses in the world. But if it's just occasional macro stuff in a controlled environment, then extension tubes would be a far cheaper alternative.

1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 5 days ago #688568 by Weleran
I love the versatility that the Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 offers and few Helios lenses like here .. At 35mm you can use it to shoot in a documentary style because it allows you to have a semi-wide perspective without getting too much distortion.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The RevoRing by H&Y is one of the most innovative photography products of the year. It's also the most-funded filter accessory in Kickstarter history!

Jul 29, 2020

Decorating your home with photos doesn't have to be a difficult process. With these tips on how to hang photos, you'll be able to decorate your home in no time!

Jul 29, 2020

Need lights for video recording? If you're recording video at home, consider these lights as excellent options for any budget.

Jul 29, 2020

With these printing options, you have lots of choices for getting a high-quality print for your home.

Jul 29, 2020

With these easy tips for taking better photos, you'll be armed and ready to elevate the quality of the images you create.

Jul 28, 2020

The long-awaited Sony a7S III has finally been announced, and it sports some incredible specs for low-light shooting and 4K video.

Jul 28, 2020

Before you buy a new canvas print, you need to know the qualities of a good canvas print, how to spot a good canvas print, and the best canvas printing companies.

Jul 27, 2020

If your camera kit is lacking a high-quality, comfortable, and functional strap, give one of these options a try.

Jul 27, 2020