Upgrading from 55-250 for sports.

5 months 5 days ago #678393 by Ado1012-
Hello, i'm currently deciding about buying upgrade lens from my 55-250 for sports photography. I was close to buying Canon 70-200 F4 but recently i started to photograph indoor ice hockey but i'm mostly photographing outside. So is there anything else that could be better lens at that price point ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 5 days ago #678418 by Nikon Shooter
By definition, a sport lens is a fast lens and nothing is
more expensive than light.

So, compromises are preprogrammed in the equation
you propose. Higher ISO is among them since you will
need both shorter SS and bright ƒ stop to control DoF.

I too shoot hockey and I use a 180~400 ƒ4 and a body
that grants a greater DR.

You have serious ambitions that maybe a lucky find on
the used market could satisfy.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

3 months 2 hours ago #684788 by David Norris
This is kinda old now, so you've probably moved on...
Here's how I work out what I need.

I'm shooting indoor sport. In Australia, NZ and South Africa we're all pretty big on playing cricket and netball on tight-netted courts, roughly 30m x 12m (100x40ft). 
As a professional, I can access any location (provided I don't interfere with any off-court officials) so my ranges are 24-300 which perfectly covers action from one end to the other.
Venues are generally poorly lit, so I need to know exactly where my acceptable noise level is on my ISO. Unfortunately that means I need to shoot in either 2.8 or 3.5. f4 just doesn't cut it in my conditions.
I have shot with monopods (for both stability and to bear some of the weight on a 4-6 hour shoot), but image stabilisation is fairly important for a handheld lens over a distance.

So here's what I have:
Canon 24-70mm f2.8
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 w/ Stabilisation
and I have a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 w/ Stabilisation on my eBay watchlist for when sport starts back up.

As a professional, I really enjoyed using my Rebel t6i with EF-s 18-200 (approx. 28-320 with crop). In fact, I still carry the Rebel with me because there's not much wrong with it.
But I could no longer deal with a lens that has a variable f3.5-5.6 because the low light was punishing me. I presume if you're shooting with 55-250 then you're also probably using EF-S lenses? In that case, seriously look at something like an 18-200.

But if that's not long enough:
Sigma do an 18-300 f3.5-f6.3 with stabilisation.
Tamron have an 18-400 f3.5-6.3 with stabilisation, but I've never used a Tamron lens so I can't recommend or advise against them.

But if your images are either too dark or too noisy then you have one option; go with f2.8 lenses and the ones I have (regardless of brand) are your only real options at f2.8

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X-E3 review, learn about the specs, features, pros, cons, and more of this excellent entry-level mirrorless camera.

Aug 05, 2020

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

What are the best metal print companies in 2020? In this detailed metal print comparison, we discuss the pros and cons of metal prints from six leading companies.

Aug 12, 2020

With these simple post-processing tips, you will learn how to edit a landscape photo for maximum impact.

Aug 11, 2020

Not sure how to seal the deal with your clients? With these photography business tips, learn a few insider tricks for capturing more long-term business.

Aug 11, 2020

Camera straps should be an investment in something that lasts a long, long time. These specialty Star Wars camera straps from Holdfast fit the bill!

Aug 11, 2020

Having a good lens filter in your kit is paramount if you want to take the best photos. This particular lens filter might just be the best one you can buy.

Aug 11, 2020

With this list of gifts for photographers under $250, you have tons of great holiday gift ideas for the photographer on your list!

Aug 06, 2020

If your photography business is floundering, use these six simple photography business tips to get the ball rolling.

Aug 06, 2020

photo album, photo album features, best photo album, photo album layout

Aug 05, 2020