Why is there an "X" showing up in my photos when using variable ND filter?

3 years 9 months ago #689697 by Travis Brunson
I just bought a variable ND filter and in some of my photos you can see a "X".  What is going on here?  It's only happening when using this filter. 

3 years 9 months ago #689698 by Nikon Shooter

Travis Brunson wrote: It's only happening when using this filter. 

No Travis, it's only happening when using this filter
in given conditions. See…

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689730 by garyrhook
Not every ND filter has this problem (my Hoya doesn't) so you might try a different product. Or just get one or two fixed value, screw-on HD filters of good quality.

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689743 by Nikon Shooter
Since iron nails are what they are, they will all rust, no matter
the brand. Nails are not all the same though. Some are stain-
less steel, galvanised, etc, composition dependent not brand.

Variable ND filters are all made in the same way: opposing po-
larisers in a rotating mount, brilliant! That comes, though, with
a cost: when the 2 polarisers are "crossing", the X will appear.
This is not brand relative but physics.

Adding fixed ND filters is the way to avoid the X since it is po-
larising dependent.

Varios are great tools, I used them in studio a lot but they have
that X thing that made me invest in a fixed set as well.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024