Identifying Lens Mount

3 years 8 months ago #691315 by LeBlur
Can anyone identify this Lens Mount?

The cover cap is just marked as 'Four Thirds'.
The lens is a Sigma 55-200mm DC but I'm not sure what camera it is designed for.
I have a Sony Nex 7 so I'm wanting to buy the correct adaptor for it.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments:
3 years 8 months ago #691344 by garyrhook
Micro 4/3s is a system of mirrorless cameras. Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus, etc all make products for the system, which are interchangeable.

A Sony NEX-7 is a E-mount body (mirrorless) with an APS-C sensor (larger than micro 4/3s).

At least one adapter is available for micro 4/3 lenses on a E mount.

I should think you'll get vignetting, but perhaps not.

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691346 by LeBlur
Thanks Gary.
I was hoping to find out which camera make the lens is for, or is this the same mount used by all Four Thirds cameras?

3 years 8 months ago #691347 by Screamin Scott
I'd venture to guess that this is the older Four-Thirds mount and not the Micro Four Thirds version. They are not interchangeable..

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691353 by LeBlur
Thanks Scott,

So is the mount on the lens just a generic 'Four-Thirds' mount or is it specific to a camera make with their own 'Four-Thirds' version of a mount?

3 years 8 months ago #691355 by Screamin Scott
Four-Thirds (4/3) was the precursor to the Micro Four Thirds mount (M4/3) and is a larger diameter mount.. IIRC, only Olympus offered Four-Thirds mounts (other than 3rd party offerings for Olympus cameras) for their "E" series DSLRs. I have M4/3 cameras and as such I have to be careful when ordering lenses that they are the correct mount, otherwise, an adapter would be needed for them to fit. You should be able to find an adapter to fit the 4/3rds lenses to your camera, but why ? Adapted lenses usually lack features that non adapted lenses have.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeBlur
3 years 8 months ago #691358 by Screamin Scott
Some further reading... Seems as though Olympus started it, others joined in later...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeBlur
3 years 8 months ago #691359 by LeBlur
But Why? I picked up the 200mm zoom lens for £20. If I can get the right adaptor for it then it was worth a punt.

3 years 8 months ago #691376 by garyrhook
Sorry, I haven't been involved long enough to know about 4/3s. The fact that there are only 9 connectors (my Pany lens has 11) explains the difference.

LeBlur wrote: But Why? I picked up the 200mm zoom lens for £20. If I can get the right adaptor for it then it was worth a punt.

For exactly the reason you're having to hunt: what you want may not exist.

Just because you got it for 20 quid doesn't make it a bargain if it can't be used. Just sayin'.

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691395 by LeBlur
I was just asking if anyone recognised the mount. It now looks as if it is not a Panasonic Four Thirds mount. 

I didn't say it was a bargain just that it was worth a punt. If I can't get an adaptor I'll just sell on or give away. 

Does anyone recognise the Mount? Could it be an Olympus? 

3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #691404 by Screamin Scott
Four Thirds is Four Thirds no matter who the lens was made for. All you need to concern yourself with is the type of mount it is, not what camera line it was made for. Just like M42 screw mounts can fit a number of older SLR's regardless of brand, as long as they were M42 screw mount. The adapter for those would say for M42, not a camera brand...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691577 by LeBlur
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationThanks Scott.

Looks like it is for an Olympus E-System Four Thirds camera.

3 years 7 months ago #694729 by LeBlur
Managed to get hold of a 4/3 to Nex adaptor. Reasonably happy with the results, albeit in my inexperienced hands.

Attachments:
3 years 7 months ago #694732 by LeBlur

Attachments:
3 years 7 months ago #694734 by LeBlur
Thank you for everyone's help. I'm sure I'll get better with practise.
Cheers

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024