Nikkor 28mm f/1.4E manual focusing to the inf untilclick goes past the inf point

3 years 4 months ago #702820 by ssamtfe
Hi everyone

Soo, just bought this beauty, nikkor 28 f/1.4E, pretty happy with it but
I'm quite used to shooting in manual focus, most of my lenses are in
fact older mf, and when I turn the focus ring of this lens to infinity
on the indicator strip it goes slightly past the mark and I get out of
focus. Is this thing normal? By the way, indicator strip does stop at
slightly left of infinity mark, but the physical ring itself will keep
turning after that. There of course is a tactile response that indicates
a stop but you can rotate past it. I never owned a G or above(newer)
lens so wondering if this is at all normal.

Just to clarify, this is not something I've never seen before, I've bought 35mm f/1.4 AI-S, a much older lens about 8 years ago, used, and
it has the same issue, although it's manual, it doesn't focus on
infinity at the stop mark but goes past it, exactly like my new nikkor
28 f/1.4E. The difference is 35mm was used and I accepted it as-is,
whereas 28mm was bought at retail shop, shiny new.
And no, my camera (D700 which is the intended shooting camera for this
lens purchase) is not out-of focus as well, because I have other lenses
which DO properly focus on infinity upon hitting the stop mark, and
those lenses perform consistently on my other older DX camera (D5100) as
well, results do look the same(in a way because DX isn't FX but the
focus appears exactly the same).
This 28mm doesn't have a focus issue in auto mode when in A/M mode on
either camera. It stops perfectly pointing at the middle of inf sign on
an indicator strip, and image looks perfectly focused to infinity at
that point. On both D5100 and D700.
So the problem I have is that I cannot blindly turn the focus ring to
infinity and shoot, I'll have to look at the indicator or live view to
see the detail, in which case it'll be simplier to never bother
switching it to M mode at all.

3 years 4 months ago #702838 by Nikon Shooter
This is a too good lens to tolerate that, have it checked!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #702885 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day sam

I have met this over the years - but always with long lenses, where the user can play with infinity of the scene rather than the lens stopping at a factory-set position ... leaving the split-image focus aid showing a slight twinkle indicating not perfect focus

I have personally pulled a lens apart to reset the focus ring to deliberately go beyond infinity - so that I can guarantee most accurate infinity focus

For you- with such a short focal length lens, I cannot see any need for the focus ring to go beyond infinity EXCEPT for autofocus conditions where the electro-mechanism needs to get to infinity and back-pedal once it realises that the point of maximum sharpness has been exceeded

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024