Old lens on digital camera

3 years 1 month ago #708744 by August-Coenders
Hi everyone,

Is there anyone who could give me some advice on lenses? 

Even though I've been doing photography for quite a couple of years by now, I'm still relatively new to it. I am now looking for a new lens (preferably one of 100-200 mm), but, as you probably know, those things are not exactly cheap. Fortunately, my father has an old lens that he no longer uses, but the problem is that this one stems from the pre-digital era in human history, as a result of which it does not fit on my Canon EOS 1300D. 

My question is thus whether I could buy some sort of adapter with which I could fit my father's lens, of which I have uploaded some pictures, on my camera. If so, I would like to hear what your experience with this has been. Can you recommend it? What are the biggest advantages and shortcomings of using an old lens? Also, some advice on where to buy such an adapter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation :) 

Attachments:
3 years 1 month ago #708756 by Screamin Scott
I’m not sure of the mount but being an older manual focus lens means it would be a pita using it on your current camera. Not only would you need an adapter, but you would have to focus manually ( not an easy task on a viewfinder designed for auto focusing) but I’m not sure you would get any metering. I shoot Nikon so I’ll let another Canon shooter answer that question. Plus the fact that it is a fairly slow lens means you will have to up the ISO ( and possibly induce noise) and it is just a consumer grade lens.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #708765 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day August

There are many keep 'togs who love playing with old lenses onto modern cameras --but-- it all comes down to the lens mount vs the camera body. Because of the diameter of the lens mount it is usually impossible to match say, an old Canon lens into a new Nikon body

However, with the m4/3 cameras having a narrower body than traditional dSLRs, there are heaps of adapters available to swap old Canon / Nikon / Pentax / Minolta film camera lenses into the m4/3 camera body

As Scott also mentions, once it is connected, everything is manual operations - focus, aperture, etc and you will miss out on the major developments of our electronic world. But- for a bit of fun, it can be really beaut

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 1 month ago #708836 by db3348
August ,  from the photo  I  cannot make out  what original camera mount  the lens is : Pentax / Minolta / Nikon / Olympus . . . ?
Whatever ,  there may be an adaptor from either Fotodiox or Metabones to fit  to your Canon . 

I  have had  a bit of success  in adapting  old Nikon lenses to my Canon EOS mount  via a Novoflex adaptor (but I'm not sure Novoflex are still around these days ) .  And  got  great results .   But , as the other responders  have noted,  these have to be used as Manual focus and Manual exposure .

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024