What kind of lens bends an image without distortion?

3 years 1 month ago #711074 by johnywhy
Is there a lens which can allow the observer to view something that's off at an angle? Ie, a lens which deviates the image by an angle, without magnification. Would it be a simple trapezoid, with flat faces? Is that available off the shelf?

3 years 1 month ago #711188 by db3348
Johny ,

Not sure if I'm interpreting your question properly ,  but the very notion of bending an image ,  and "deviating the image by an angle "  to me  implies  distortion .
And all lenses  will distort a subject to some degree  (without some optical correction)  if  subject is viewed and  taken from an angle  to the surface planes of the subject .
For example ,  if  you  view or photograph  a square or rectangular shape  from an angle ,  by default  that shape will be rendered as a trapezoid shape in the resulting photo ,  which basically constitutes  distortion of the subject .

Perhaps  you  have seen an image  which you could post a link to or a copy of  to the forum so we can see what you are suggesting .

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #711189 by johnywhy
I think i misled by the word "lens". I don't care if reflective, refractive, inductive, or hyperactive 

To be more specific about my use-case:

If my camera position is fixed and unchangeable, but it's not pointing directly at my subject, then i want a simple adjustable optical piece that i can manually tilt in order to redirect the off-access image into the camera. It would likely be less than 45 degrees, with a relatively small adjustable range, say +-20 degrees.

i'm thinking something like a pentaprism would be the simplest solution. But, the image might be reverse or upside-down, so it's a matter of figuring out the correct polygon of the prism to ensure that the camera sees a correctly-oriented image. i'm wondering if a simple trapezoid would do. It might need to be a double trap, to correct the inversion.

img\def

Or, why not just a rectangular prism? Just a simple rectangular block of glass?

img\def

Or a short length of straight light pipe?

3 years 1 month ago #711200 by Nikon Shooter

db3348 wrote: … the very notion of bending an image ,  and "deviating the image by an angle "  to me  implies  distortion.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #711319 by db3348

Johnywhy wrote :  ... a simple adjustable optical piece that i can manually tilt in order to redirect...

OK got it .   Your suggestion does have some merit .  Have  you considered gutting  the inside of an old SLR camera  and salvaging the pentaprism and mirror assemblies ?   Could need  a bit of fiddling ,  with construction , positioning and angles etc .
Just a suggestion .

Photo Comments
3 years 3 weeks ago #713545 by johnywhy
i wonder if a Ludor lens could do this. People are usually interested in Ludor's as "invisibility shield", but doesn't it simply bend light?

3 years 3 weeks ago #713556 by db3348
Sorry,  not familiar with the Ludor

Photo Comments
3 years 3 weeks ago #713573 by johnywhy
oops, Lubor

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024