A question about UV, Haze, and Clear filters

13 years 1 month ago #35889 by fotozone
I am new to the world of DSLR cameras. I just upgraded to a Nikon D3100 from a Olympus Sp590. I have been told to always keep a UV filter on my lenses to protect them, when I went to get the UV filter I saw that there are also Haze-1, Skylight, and Clear. I started trying to research this and now I am more confused. I read in several places that UV filters are unnecessary on a DSLR that it is built in to the sensor. A few articles recommend not using any filters because of lens flare. I do a lot of high elevation shooting and with my Olympus hazy horizons was a big problem. So my question is this what filter do you recommend for everyday shooting? One more question; I also read to get a step up filter so you only need one set of filters to my novice brain this makes sense. Is there any reason not to do this?
13 years 1 month ago #35900 by Baydream
UV, Sky and Clear filters primarily protect your lens from getting scratched (an expensive injury). With a good quality lens, effects should be minimal. In the odd situation that you might get flare, you can always remove the filter, shoot, then replace it. I have a skylight one and a UV on the other lens.
As for size: If you have or are getter lenses of various sizes, the step up would benefit you but you would need different lens caps and may not be able to use lens hoods to control flare. In addition, the larger filters are usually more expensive. For your "protective" lenses, getter filters to match makes sense. If you have 58mm lenses and get a 52mm prime, get a step up for using filters like polarizers that can run into money.

For those hazy horizons, a circular polarizer may help.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #35966 by Joves

Baydream wrote: UV, Sky and Clear filters primarily protect your lens from getting scratched (an expensive injury). With a good quality lens, effects should be minimal. In the odd situation that you might get flare, you can always remove the filter, shoot, then replace it. I have a skylight one and a UV on the other lens.
As for size: If you have or are getter lenses of various sizes, the step up would benefit you but you would need different lens caps and may not be able to use lens hoods to control flare. In addition, the larger filters are usually more expensive. For your "protective" lenses, getter filters to match makes sense. If you have 58mm lenses and get a 52mm prime, get a step up for using filters like polarizers that can run into money.

For those hazy horizons, a circular polarizer may help.

:goodpost:
I personally only use the Clears as protection.The sensors on digitals already filter for UV through the filter on it.

13 years 1 month ago #36013 by Stealthy Ninja
A hood will protect your lens more than a filter ever will. In fact if you drop your lens, the filter might shatter and damage the front element.

The front element is pretty darn strong and unless you want to prevent damage from sand/sea-spray etc. they're probably not necessary.

Personally I have some lenses with them some without (70-200 has one on, the 24-70 doesn't right now, the 14-24 can't and the 50mm 1.4 from Sigma doesn't). Often I forget to put them back on after I use a CP.

Like Baydream suggested, if you do use them, get the best quality you can, to avoid any possible deterioration in the IQ.
13 years 1 month ago #36961 by Joves

Stealthy Ninja wrote: A hood will protect your lens more than a filter ever will. In fact if you drop your lens, the filter might shatter and damage the front element.

The front element is pretty darn strong and unless you want to prevent damage from sand/sea-spray etc. they're probably not necessary.

Personally I have some lenses with them some without (70-200 has one on, the 24-70 doesn't right now, the 14-24 can't and the 50mm 1.4 from Sigma doesn't). Often I forget to put them back on after I use a CP.

Like Baydream suggested, if you do use them, get the best quality you can, to avoid any possible deterioration in the IQ.

Normally for many people this is true but I rock climb with my camera alot and have had some parts of cliffs get past the hoods. I shattered a few filters, now granted it owuld have only been a minor scratch on a lens but, better to shatter a filter.

13 years 1 month ago #36963 by Baydream

Joves wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: A hood will protect your lens more than a filter ever will. In fact if you drop your lens, the filter might shatter and damage the front element.

Normally for many people this is true but I rock climb with my camera alot and have had some parts of cliffs get past the hoods. I shattered a few filters, now granted it owuld have only been a minor scratch on a lens but, better to shatter a filter.

:goodpost: Small price to pay.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024