Manual Focus lenses

13 years 4 months ago #7859 by Screamin Scott
I'm one who uses older manual focus macro lenses on a Nikon D70s. Now my camera won't meter with these old lenses, but after awhile you can kinda "guesstimate" the exposure pretty well. That & then you can utilize the LCD & histogram or even a handheld meter to acquire your proper exposure. I moderate a group on Flickr dedicated to using older lenses on Nikon DSLR's. Most of the shots on my galleries are done with them. Now, I shoot a lot of macro & that type of photography lends itself very well to using the older lenses...One big plus on using them is that you can get "pro" quality glass at rock bottom prices (compared to current "pro" prices that is). If anyone is interested in using them & has any questions, just ask..

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7861 by Hamtastic
Is there really that much price difference in the cost of these lenses? I've not shopped out a manual lens before. But couldn't' you just get a external light meter and take any sort of guess out of it? I like the idea of saving a buck when I can. ;)

Good info!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #7866 by Screamin Scott
Yes, you can use an external meter to determine your exposure. Now I'm a Nikon shooter & Nikon has kept the same mount almost since their first SLR's thus I can use most any Nikkor or 3rd party lens ever made for Nikon on my camera. Canon shooters aren't so lucky, neither are Minolta as both of them changed their lens mounts when auto focus came along. Now there are adapters for the Canon folks, I'm not sure about Minolta (Sony) though, and I believe Pentax can use older bayonet mount lenses, & screw mount with an adapter.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7868 by Hamtastic

Screamin Scott wrote: Yes, you can use an external meter to determine your exposure. Now I'm a Nikon shooter & Nikon has kept the same mount almost since their first SLR's thus I can use most any Nikkor or 3rd party lens ever made for Nikon on my camera. Canon shooters aren't so lucky, neither are Minolta as both of them changed their lens mounts when auto focus came along. Now there are adapters for the Canon folks, I'm not sure about Minolta (Sony) though, and I believe Pentax can use older bayonet mount lenses, & screw mount with an adapter.

What kind of photography are you shooting Scott?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7872 by Screamin Scott
I shoot a broad range of subjects although Macro is my niche...Take a look at the galleries I posted for samples...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7874 by Yasko
Us Canon guys aren't so much out of luck - I have a couple Nikon AIS lenses I use on my canon with a 10 dollar adapter I got on ebay ;) not to mention the huge amount of m42 and k-mount lenses available out there

Scott, your camera can't meter AT ALL? What about in aperature priority mode? maybe this is exclusive to the D70 body only. You might get metering capability with newer Nikon bodies. I have a buddy that uses AIS on his D2x body, and he's an expert on all things Nikon. I'll ask him what he knows.

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #7885 by Screamin Scott
Yasko, in order to have metering, you have to have at least a D200 or better body & then you get metering but not matrix ( you have to enter the lens focal length & max aperture into the memory bank first though), The new D7000 will meter as well with Ai & Ais lenses & as such is the only "consumer grade" body that will...I know that Canon can use Nikkor & other lenses via an adapter, but my point was that with Nikon, no adapter is needed as long as they are Nikon mount. Canons can't use the older FD mount lenses (AFAIK ) & Minolta can't use their older MD lenses either (not sure if they can with an adapter though)...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7891 by Yasko
Very true, the best I could do with an FD lens is make a macro out of it. It's a shame Canon didn't retro fit the EOS line. At the time of the switch Canon made a high quality adapter with glass in it so EF could be used with FD and FL but those are hard to find now, and are going for 1000+ dollars :ohmy:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024