Can I get your thoughts on this Flash Bracket Guillotine?

9 years 5 months ago #114469 by Rocket Man
I just stumbled on this adjustable flash bracket and I have to say this is pretty interesting. I'm just wondering how the bracket interferes with the right hand grip?

store.promediagear.com/Flash-Bracket-Gui...hout-grip_p_27.html#

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 5 months ago #114483 by steveheap
Wow, that looks complex. I guess the big question is whether you do a lot of hand held flash (as opposed to the flash being on a stand and you moving around the subject). I use the Canon flash remote on the camera itself and have the flash guns either held by someone, or more usually, on a stand, which gives me the off camera flash and the flexibility to move about. I've also had some good results with the Flashbender which attaches to the top of a flashgun to give a much broader light source, and have stuck the flash on top of the camera for that.

I can imagine this would be good for weddings, although don't you generally just want the flash to the side of the camera rather than have all this flexibility?

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

9 years 5 months ago #114542 by Prago
Interesting, I like the flexibility it has. I'm sure they thought about the grip when they designed this. Or you would hope they did.

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

9 years 5 months ago #114636 by Superman
I like the Boomerang set up better. Looks more solid built.

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments

9 years 5 months ago #114759 by Dave Burburry

Superman wrote: I like the Boomerang set up better. Looks more solid built.

I was thinking just the same

Photo Comments

9 years 5 months ago #115229 by Fitch

Superman wrote: I like the Boomerang set up better. Looks more solid built.

:agree: The one the OP listed looks too much for my taste. But I do like this Boomerang. The silver is my style.

Photo Comments

9 years 5 months ago #115579 by Kenya See
No way the red one is my fav. Is this a new company?

Photo Comments

9 years 5 months ago #115636 by Crazyguy
I like the looks, but how does it feel with the grip? Jury is out.

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments

9 years 5 months ago #115768 by Henry Peach
Way too big and awkward, IMO. I like small and compact. www.newtoncamerabrackets.com/

9 years 5 months ago #115799 by Dragonflies

Henry Peach wrote: Way too big and awkward, IMO. I like small and compact. www.newtoncamerabrackets.com/

I agree with you, the guillotine looks a bit large. I do like the looks of the Boomerang one shown, that seems small and compact. The problem with the one you pointed out from Newton is that it doesn't have much movement, the flash wouldn't be getting that much off the camera.

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #115876 by Henry Peach

Dragonflies wrote: ...the flash wouldn't be getting that much off the camera.

I get my distance by bouncing. I try to never use direct flash on camera or bracket. It just always looks like a snapshot and is disappointing. If I can't bounce the on camera/bracket flash it's got to come off.

9 years 5 months ago #115934 by DJMarcus
What would be a smart move from one of these bracket makers is to design a bracket for the macro folks. Something that will allow you to swing the flash forward and down. So you can get the flash right at the end of the lens over your subject.

9 years 5 months ago #116430 by Number 7
Do they have small soft boxes you can attach to these along with flash?

Photo Comments

9 years 5 months ago #118011 by Tarb1968
Not bad, I do like the red anodized version too. Seems like a nice bracket if the "feel" of it mounted on camera isn't to bulky.

Photo Comments

9 years 5 months ago #118579 by Kid Prodigy
They need larger images on their page, I would like to see larger shots around the grip area.

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

Not everyone is comfortable in front of the camera, but with these portrait photography tips, you'll learn surefire ways to help models relax and have fun.

Jan 18, 2021

It's easy to be inspired in photography, but sometimes you need some photography exercises to regain that creativity. Learn a few creative photography ideas in this guide.

Jan 18, 2021

One of the best things you can do for your photography business is to make it easier for your clients to pay you. Learn how you can do that with these simple photography business tips.

Jan 15, 2021

Canon EF lenses have a long-standing reputation for quality. And with an EF-RF adapter, you can continue using your EF lenses with an EOS R body.

Jan 15, 2021

Processing landscape photos takes a good amount of time and effort. By educating yourself on tips for processing landscape photos, you can make the most of your editing time.

Jan 14, 2021

I got my first metal print from Printique about six weeks ago. In this Printique metal print review, learn why this might be the best metal print I've ever gotten.

Jan 13, 2021