Using LED lights vs Soft Box or Umbrella?

12 years 4 weeks ago #214197 by Trooo
I was using my LED flashlight, and I noticed how well it defused the light, like a softbox. Has anyone tried replacing the Soft Box/Umbrella with a LED source. If so, is the LED a reasonable replacement at this time?

I ask as the LED is very lightweight and had lower battery life.

12 years 4 weeks ago #214199 by Whyme
A softbox and umbrella are not light sources, they're modifiers. It would not make sense to replace a modifier with a light source since they're two different objects and provide different services.

12 years 4 weeks ago #214201 by Spin the world
No, not a good replace because LED will not freeze movement. Doesn't give enough light.

12 years 4 weeks ago #214202 by Trooo
I agree that LED pads or flashlights do not produce enough light. However, I plan to try LED lightbulbs. This may never work, but it is always fun to try!

11 years 11 months ago #224694 by Esteban
hello ! what do you say .

11 years 11 months ago #224699 by Darrell
The LED bulb could have its usage, but would not replace a flash in a softbox or umbrella. No LED bulb could even give close to the amount of light as a flash..

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 11 months ago #224739 by Henry Peach
www.theicelight.com/

LED light sources for still photography are starting to see more use. They have weaknesses compared to bulb strobes, but I think their strengths will make them very popular. I've seen portraits taken with the device at the link above, and I am intrigued. It looks a lot more convenient than setting up light stands and softboxes, which would be very handy when I'm shooting weddings on a limited time schedule.
11 years 11 months ago #225289 by eccs19
I think using a LED flash light is an interesting option if your trying some light painting, but just for general use for lighting a subject (as a replacement for a strobe), probably not ideal at this point in time.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024