If you had to start all over again, what would you buy?

3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #646719 by tesnve
Hi everyone, 

I am in need of some good recommendations for artificial lighting. Long story short, I've never shot with artificial lighting and have a restaurant food photoshoot coming up this weekend. (There's no sunlight inside of this restaurant) - So I have been doing research on what type of artificial lights to buy - but with any new hobby, you never really buy the right equipment to start. So, I'm hoping for some good recommendations!

I will only be shooting food and cocktail photography. I am shooting with a 90mm Sony G macro lens on an A6000. I plan to use mostly stone colored marble or refinished wood backgrounds. I'm hoping to shoot with a style similar to Kayley Mccabe. And lastly, I am looking to make an Amazon order no later than tomorrow night, and hope to be able to use this equipment for at least a couple years as I pick up more freelance work for restaurants and bars. I have a budget of about $1500 though I don't need or want to spend it all for a tripod, softbox, honeycomb grid, dish reflectors, diffuser, fill cards, tethering cables, and anything else I will need to stage an artificially lit photoshoot. (I will want to shoot mostly chiaroscuro style so maybe a versatile softbox?)

They have lighting sets on Amazon for under $200, but I want to do it "right" the first time around, so I'm looking for the opinion of the experienced.

If you were to start photography again, what setup would you go with? Thanks everyone ahead of time. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 3 weeks ago #646800 by garyrhook
I'll just say this right out: you're in trouble.

Using artificial light takes work (start with strobist.com now). Large, diffuse lighting sources. Those $200 kits won't do it.

You can do this with strobes (Yongnuo 968s would be just fine, and add a trigger), but you need things that will diffuse and reflect the light. People with experience could jury-rig whatever they need (Dan Winters does this) but that demands knowledge of managing artificial light.

I own 2 DigiBees, 2 large umbrellas, a large softbox, two small octoboxes, and stands. You might consider Godox if you want strobes instead of speedlights, but I'm a Paul C Buff fan.

Good luck.

Photo Comments

3 years 3 weeks ago #646830 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: I'll just say this right out: you're in trouble.

In the days, I got myself a Speedotron Black line. Used it until
it died seven years ago. Then, I reequipped with Profoto. :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

3 years 3 weeks ago #646831 by tesnve
Garyrhook, 

You are a lifesaver. I was less than 30 minutes away from ordering a $200 kit on amazon. Instead went with the Yongnuo 968 EX-RT with a 622 Controller. I think they will work on a Sony A6000, please let me know if they do not! I also picked up a stand and softbox. 

And strobist...yessssssssss 

Thanks human!!!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not every photo book is made alike. Some are superior to others because of the options you get. Learn what to look for in this guide.

Jun 28, 2022

What is the best camera in 2022? That's a loaded question whose answer depends on many factors. In this guide, we'll explore some great options!

Jun 22, 2022

GoPro accessories come in all shapes, sizes and price points. But which ones are the best? We offer our favorite picks in this 2022 guide.

Jun 22, 2022

Not sure how to grow your photography business? Check this beginner business guide to learn a few inside tricks to hit the ground running.

Jun 22, 2022

If you're in the market for some Sony FE lenses for your kit, use this guide to learn more about three excellent prime and zoom lens options.

Jun 22, 2022

If you want to take the best close-up images, you'll need some macro photography lenses to get the clearest, sharpest photos.

Jun 21, 2022

What is a metal print? The easy answer is that it's an image printed on metal. But the best metal prints are a product of a more intricate process.

Jun 21, 2022

After using Linksys routers for many years, I switched to a Synology Router - the RT6600ax. Here are my first impressions!

Jun 15, 2022