Optical Slave Triggers

8 months 3 weeks ago #666235 by Jon East
Morning.  I'm a bit new to flash photography and my question today deals with triggering flashes that don't have a "slave" option.  If you are trying to trigger multiple flashes that don't have a slave setting, what is needed to trigger them with a Sony a7R III?

Are these things universal?

Thanks guys

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 months 3 weeks ago #666250 by garyrhook
You'll need a wireless remote system: Pocket Wizard, for example, or similar.

No, they're hardly universal. Each manufacturer wants to lock you into a system (surprise!) so research and choose wisely.

Photo Comments

8 months 3 weeks ago #666269 by Nikon Shooter

Jon East wrote: Are these things universal?

Yes they are… contrary to some dedicated radios transceivers in TTL
mode. The question is: "is your flash equipped with a slave receiver?"

In any case, going for a radio system is a better option as suggested
because it is reaching farther and without suffering light interferences.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

8 months 3 weeks ago #666288 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jon

There are other difficulties with Optical Triggers ...

If you are using the built-in camera flash -or- an external flash which is set to TTL, then you need to realise that the flash is actuated 2 or 3 times as part of the actual exposure. Roughly, #1 determines exposure and #2 is the exposure (or if #2 is a red-eye-reduction flash, then #3 becomes the exposure). All these "mini-flashes" occur so fast that generally we are unable to tell them apart

If you are using a 'simple' trigger that responds immediately it sees a flash, you will find that your slave flashguns have all fired during the 'check-the-exposure' initial flash rather than the 'take the photo' flash

This is why all flash units that offer slave flash operations have several settings available ... instant response or flash on #2 or flash on #3 sort of thing.

As I understand the radio triggers, they are actuated for the actual exposure flash, not the preliminary exposure flash

fwiw - I use both systems and find that my Yongnuo flashguns work well with any camera once I have tested the camera to flash signalling arrangements ~ my students arrive with all sorts of cameras and it sometimes takes some fiddling to get things working properly

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

8 months 2 weeks ago #667668 by Jon East
Just swinging back over to my question to thank you all for helping me out.  

Pocket Wizards ordered!  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X-E3 review, learn about the specs, features, pros, cons, and more of this excellent entry-level mirrorless camera.

Aug 05, 2020

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With a $500 budget, there are all kinds of awesome photography gift ideas you can purchase for the photographer on your 2020 holiday shopping list!

Aug 14, 2020

What are the best metal print companies in 2020? In this detailed metal print comparison, we discuss the pros and cons of metal prints from six leading companies.

Aug 12, 2020

To expand your photography business amid the pandemic might seem like an impossible task. But if you use these photography business tips, you might find that you have more clients coming in the door.

Aug 12, 2020

With these simple post-processing tips, you will learn how to edit a landscape photo for maximum impact.

Aug 11, 2020

Not sure how to seal the deal with your clients? With these photography business tips, learn a few insider tricks for capturing more long-term business.

Aug 11, 2020

Camera straps should be an investment in something that lasts a long, long time. These specialty Star Wars camera straps from Holdfast fit the bill!

Aug 11, 2020

Having a good lens filter in your kit is paramount if you want to take the best photos. This particular lens filter might just be the best one you can buy.

Aug 11, 2020

With this list of gifts for photographers under $250, you have tons of great holiday gift ideas for the photographer on your list!

Aug 06, 2020