Kenko Vs. Hoya filters

13 years 4 months ago #6118 by mygirl
What is the difference between these two brands?

13 years 4 months ago #7093 by Archie
I use Hoya, can't help you on the differences. But will say Hoya is a pretty good filter.

13 years 3 months ago #8264 by Monster
I might be off on this, but Hoya makes filters, and Kenko just makes teleconverters and extension tubes.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #8282 by The Original Daisy

Monster wrote: I might be off on this, but Hoya makes filters, and Kenko just makes teleconverters and extension tubes.

Kenko makes filters: www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=kenko+...=0&InitialSearch=yes

:P ;)

13 years 3 months ago #8286 by Screamin Scott
You have to be careful when saying an outfit makes something. More often than you think, a manufacturer will use a subcontractor to make some of their products. Take Vivitar for instance. They are simply a marketer. They sell lenses made for them by Samyang, As for the rest of their line, who knows who makes the items for them. Just because it has a "brand" name on it, doesn't mean it was produced by them..That said, I really don't know if Kenko makes filters or if they simply have them subcontracted out.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #8288 by Karl Wertanen
I can only compare and contrast their polarizer filters. The Hoya Super HMC Polarizer is a FANTASTIC filter and worth every cent you pay for it. The best polarizer i've owned. The Kenko polarizer of the same performance level and price range muted my images abit and gave everythig a grey flat look. In my experience i wouldn't recommend the Kenko polarizer.
13 years 3 months ago #8289 by Yasko
Kenko teleconverters are great, but I haven't had any experience with their filters. Hoya makes good quality optical glass for all sorts of thing, and all sorts of brands. Scott is right when he said to be careful about the brand names at face value. Hoya makes glass for other companies, including Quanteray label, which is what some of my filters have printed on them. Who knows, they may even make filter glass for Kenko.

That said, you can't go wrong with Hoya glass. I concur with Silvrwhls1, their polarizers and all other filters in general are fantastic quality, and more often than not, very reasonably priced. I also have multicoated UV's and Polarizers from Tiffen which is about twice as expensive as Hoya, and they both give the same high quality results.

13 years 3 months ago #8291 by McBeth Photography
I have a lot to learn about filters! That being said, I've never taken a photo without a filter and regretted it. It might sound crazy but if I'm mounted to a tripod (60-70% of my work) I don't have a filter on.

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago #8298 by The Original Daisy

Screamin Scott wrote: You have to be careful when saying an outfit makes something. More often than you think, a manufacturer will use a subcontractor to make some of their products. Take Vivitar for instance. They are simply a marketer. They sell lenses made for them by Samyang, As for the rest of their line, who knows who makes the items for them. Just because it has a "brand" name on it, doesn't mean it was produced by them..That said, I really don't know if Kenko makes filters or if they simply have them subcontracted out.

Good point. All I was saying is look! This place has them under their name ;)

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #8302 by Karl Wertanen
Hi Barry!
I try not to use filters on as many of my photos as possible. The more glass you place in front of your lens, the more you can degrade the sharpness and quality of the image. Many of my favorite images in my photo stash were not made with filters. That being said, There are alot of times where corrective filters are necessary. (Keep in mind, i shoot film and digital may not have the same light recording characteristics as film) example - I use graduated neutral density filters to correct burn out in the sky when shooting many landscapes because the light from the sky tends to record brighter than non sky parts of the picture. The point is to get the correct balence of light and reproduce the picture as you see it when you are there taking it. Especialy when taking photos w/reflections in the water. The picture below i used the graduated neutral density filter to correct this. There is no way my camera would have been able to properly record the light in the sky in this photo to have a balenced reflection. It would have been much brighter than the foreground. In fact, i actually used a grad neutral density filter that was too dark for the scene. I believe this was 2stop filter. i should have used a 1stop filter because the top half actually looks darker than the bottom half.

I like polarizers as corrective filters also. They will help you darken sky like the grad neutral density filter does and also reduces the harsh glare on foliage, glass, paint, and water. This second photo shows what a polarizer does to reflections on water and foliage.

I try not to use filters as much as possible but there are times where they are necessary (speaking for myself only).

Karl

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
13 years 3 months ago #8324 by DBoucher Photography
I never take a lens out without a filter attached - if something is going to happen, I want it to happen to the filter, not my front element. I use Hoya filters, but recently did some research and have ordered a couple of B&W UV filters that have not arrived yet. Based on my research, the optics are expected to be exceptional, made from ground optical glass, the haze reduction extremely effective, and the brass ring construction is said to prevent binding.
Anyone here using B&Ws? Any comments? Assuming I get what I paid for, I will eventually replace all my filters with B&W.

13 years 3 months ago #8327 by Screamin Scott
I'm of the opposite camp...I've been shooting since the early 70's without damaging any lens...Talking with several repair people, they have all said that it is rare that they see a lens that was saved by a filter. Seems it's the exception rather than the rule as if the lens suffers from a fall, the physical shock of the impact can affect the alignment & other internal mechanisms that a filter can't protect from...But, to each there own...As for quality of filters, Schneider seems to be the best albeit a bit pricey. B&W is good, but not consistently across the field. You have to be careful also as most manufacturers have different "tiers" of varying quality & price. While not on the UV filters, here is a link to an article on polarizing filters & how they ranked
www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing...lts_and_summary.html

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #8411 by Yasko
Great info Scott

Looks like the Kenko rates very well. Even better than the Hoyas if you get the particular type listed.

13 years 2 months ago #16828 by Thirsty Beaver

Silvrwhls1 wrote: Hi Barry!
I try not to use filters on as many of my photos as possible. The more glass you place in front of your lens, the more you can degrade the sharpness and quality of the image. Many of my favorite images in my photo stash were not made with filters. That being said, There are alot of times where corrective filters are necessary. (Keep in mind, i shoot film and digital may not have the same light recording characteristics as film) example - I use graduated neutral density filters to correct burn out in the sky when shooting many landscapes because the light from the sky tends to record brighter than non sky parts of the picture. The point is to get the correct balence of light and reproduce the picture as you see it when you are there taking it. Especialy when taking photos w/reflections in the water. The picture below i used the graduated neutral density filter to correct this. There is no way my camera would have been able to properly record the light in the sky in this photo to have a balenced reflection. It would have been much brighter than the foreground. In fact, i actually used a grad neutral density filter that was too dark for the scene. I believe this was 2stop filter. i should have used a 1stop filter because the top half actually looks darker than the bottom half.

I like polarizers as corrective filters also. They will help you darken sky like the grad neutral density filter does and also reduces the harsh glare on foliage, glass, paint, and water. This second photo shows what a polarizer does to reflections on water and foliage.

I try not to use filters as much as possible but there are times where they are necessary (speaking for myself only).

Karl

That first image is breath taking!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024