How to focus on flowers?

9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #628633 by Jan0048
Hi .
I'm Jan, a new entry level photographer.
I need to know how to How to focus on flowers? because I have tried to take a macro photo but not  sharp of all.
Please give me some comment of my sample.
Nikon D3200
AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G
A 1/3  f 5.6  ISO 100   manual focus
no process on computer (resize only)
Thank you very much.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 months 2 weeks ago #628729 by Adam Wilson
Not bad for the first try...

9 months 2 weeks ago #628796 by shelland
I am far from a macro expert, but I dabble in it. A couple notes on pure photography principals: 

1. Are you hand-holding? If so, 1/3 of a second is way to slow for shutter speed. The rule of thumb I've always heard is 1/50 or faster for hand-holding. Certainly some may have steadier hands to go a tad slower. If using a tripod, this won't be an issue unless outside and wind is moving the flower. At 1/3 everything needs to be very still. 

2. If you're manual focusing, it's certainly possible you're just not getting it in perfect focus. 

3. With a 40mm, I'm guessing you're very close to the flower to shoot this unless you cropped a lot. If so, keep in mind depth of field. Shooting f/5.6 very close to the subject is not going to leave the entire flower sharp. That's not a bad thing - depends what you're looking for. If you want an artistic look with only part of the flower sharp, that's fine. If you want the whole flower in focus, you're going to have to go with a smaller aperture (larger number) to get a larger depth of field. Not sure what that lens allows, but try all the way up to f/22 (for example) in increments to see the results and pick what look you like most. Of course, to let in less light and get larger and also use a higher shutter speed you're also going to increase that ISO quite a bit (or have more available light). 

It could be a combination of all 3 of the above. 

Good luck! 

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

9 months 2 weeks ago #628922 by Kyle Johnson
Nice pointers! 

9 months 1 week ago #629049 by Kelly Emery
:thumbsup:  

9 months 1 week ago #629188 by Monica Martinez
Good composition! 

9 months 1 week ago #629353 by Suni Park
Keep trying!

9 months 1 week ago #629499 by Stephen Graham
Nice pointers!

9 months 1 week ago #629508 by Jan0048

shelland wrote: I am far from a macro expert, but I dabble in it. A couple notes on pure photography principals: 

1. Are you hand-holding? If so, 1/3 of a second is way to slow for shutter speed. The rule of thumb I've always heard is 1/50 or faster for hand-holding. Certainly some may have steadier hands to go a tad slower. If using a tripod, this won't be an issue unless outside and wind is moving the flower. At 1/3 everything needs to be very still. 

2. If you're manual focusing, it's certainly possible you're just not getting it in perfect focus. 

3. With a 40mm, I'm guessing you're very close to the flower to shoot this unless you cropped a lot. If so, keep in mind depth of field. Shooting f/5.6 very close to the subject is not going to leave the entire flower sharp. That's not a bad thing - depends what you're looking for. If you want an artistic look with only part of the flower sharp, that's fine. If you want the whole flower in focus, you're going to have to go with a smaller aperture (larger number) to get a larger depth of field. Not sure what that lens allows, but try all the way up to f/22 (for example) in increments to see the results and pick what look you like most. Of course, to let in less light and get larger and also use a higher shutter speed you're also going to increase that ISO quite a bit (or have more available light). 

It could be a combination of all 3 of the above. 

Good luck! 

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your kind comment.
1. Of course! I shot this photo with a tripod but still have a little wind.
2. Manual focusing.
3. At first I have no idea about f number so I think f/5.6 should enough and also set A mode (shutter speed calculate by camera).

I once again thank you very much for the comment.

9 months 1 week ago #629511 by Jan0048
:)

9 months 1 week ago #629515 by Jan0048

Monica Martinez wrote: Good composition! 

Thanks

9 months 1 week ago #629516 by Jan0048

Suni Park wrote: Keep trying!

Thanks

9 months 1 week ago #629522 by Jan0048

Adam Wilson wrote: Not bad for the first try...

Thanks

8 months 3 weeks ago #632035 by Steve Rodriguez
Nice pointers!

8 months 3 days ago #635199 by OlderSonyUser
I often take pictures of insects & flowers.

Anyone using a compact camera should press the close focus button so that the cameras auto-focus focuses only in the middle.

For hand holding, the shutter speed should be the same as the lens's focal length or faster, ie 50mm 50th of a second or faster, 100mm 100 of a second or faster,

Aperture gives more depth of field if smaller ie F16, F22, for a shallow depth of field try a wide aperture, ie F4, F5.6.

You could try setting your camera to Manual mode but the ISO to auto. Bear in mind higher ISO values give you more noise, so keep an eye on how high the ISO goes. With a higher ISO you will get more noise but sharper pictures. Bear in mind that if and when you print your picture some of that noise will disappear. Newer cameras generally produce less noisy images than older ones, as do dearer cameras compared to cheaper ones. Noise can also be reduced in post processing, though it also reduces sharpness. Even with the best cameras it is all about balance & compromise.

Older Sony User

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

In this Panasonic G9 review, we take a look at its essential features, its build quality, compatible lenses, and other crucial details to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Nov 04, 2019

In this Canon EOS 7D Mark II review, we outline the pros and cons of this camera and identify whether it's still a good buy in 2019.

Oct 25, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Winter photography can be a challenge for sure. But with these tips for winter photography, you can prepare yourself (and your gear) to get the best shots.

Nov 13, 2019

One of the critical aspects of creating awesome vlogs is having footage that's stabilized. With these methods for how to stabilize a camera, you'll have plenty of options for smooth video.

Nov 13, 2019

Photo by Cristian Grecu on Unsplash A Chinese university student tumbled off of one of China's largest mountains to her in death...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Karina on Unsplash Who among us doesn't have the intrinsically human desire to get absolutely smashed, incredibly naked...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Tim Bennett on Unsplash In a year of continuously bad news for Facebook, it turns out the iOS Facebook app has been...

Nov 12, 2019

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

The new Panasonic Lumix S Pro lenses have been announced, and they have some impressive specs. But will they be worth the huge price tags?

Nov 12, 2019

nikon d5100, nikon d5100 review, nikon d5100 specs, nikon d5100 price, nikon d5100 features, used nikon d5100

Nov 12, 2019