How to focus on flowers?

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #628633 by Jan0048
Hi .
I'm Jan, a new entry level photographer.
I need to know how to How to focus on flowers? because I have tried to take a macro photo but not  sharp of all.
Please give me some comment of my sample.
Nikon D3200
AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G
A 1/3  f 5.6  ISO 100   manual focus
no process on computer (resize only)
Thank you very much.

Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #628729 by Adam Wilson
Not bad for the first try...

5 years 1 month ago #628796 by shelland
I am far from a macro expert, but I dabble in it. A couple notes on pure photography principals: 

1. Are you hand-holding? If so, 1/3 of a second is way to slow for shutter speed. The rule of thumb I've always heard is 1/50 or faster for hand-holding. Certainly some may have steadier hands to go a tad slower. If using a tripod, this won't be an issue unless outside and wind is moving the flower. At 1/3 everything needs to be very still. 

2. If you're manual focusing, it's certainly possible you're just not getting it in perfect focus. 

3. With a 40mm, I'm guessing you're very close to the flower to shoot this unless you cropped a lot. If so, keep in mind depth of field. Shooting f/5.6 very close to the subject is not going to leave the entire flower sharp. That's not a bad thing - depends what you're looking for. If you want an artistic look with only part of the flower sharp, that's fine. If you want the whole flower in focus, you're going to have to go with a smaller aperture (larger number) to get a larger depth of field. Not sure what that lens allows, but try all the way up to f/22 (for example) in increments to see the results and pick what look you like most. Of course, to let in less light and get larger and also use a higher shutter speed you're also going to increase that ISO quite a bit (or have more available light). 

It could be a combination of all 3 of the above. 

Good luck! 

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

5 years 1 month ago #628922 by Kyle Johnson
Nice pointers! 

5 years 1 month ago #629049 by Kelly Emery
:thumbsup:  

5 years 1 month ago #629188 by Monica Martinez
Good composition! 

5 years 1 month ago #629353 by Suni Park
Keep trying!

5 years 1 month ago #629499 by Stephen Graham
Nice pointers!

5 years 1 month ago #629508 by Jan0048

shelland wrote: I am far from a macro expert, but I dabble in it. A couple notes on pure photography principals: 

1. Are you hand-holding? If so, 1/3 of a second is way to slow for shutter speed. The rule of thumb I've always heard is 1/50 or faster for hand-holding. Certainly some may have steadier hands to go a tad slower. If using a tripod, this won't be an issue unless outside and wind is moving the flower. At 1/3 everything needs to be very still. 

2. If you're manual focusing, it's certainly possible you're just not getting it in perfect focus. 

3. With a 40mm, I'm guessing you're very close to the flower to shoot this unless you cropped a lot. If so, keep in mind depth of field. Shooting f/5.6 very close to the subject is not going to leave the entire flower sharp. That's not a bad thing - depends what you're looking for. If you want an artistic look with only part of the flower sharp, that's fine. If you want the whole flower in focus, you're going to have to go with a smaller aperture (larger number) to get a larger depth of field. Not sure what that lens allows, but try all the way up to f/22 (for example) in increments to see the results and pick what look you like most. Of course, to let in less light and get larger and also use a higher shutter speed you're also going to increase that ISO quite a bit (or have more available light). 

It could be a combination of all 3 of the above. 

Good luck! 

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your kind comment.
1. Of course! I shot this photo with a tripod but still have a little wind.
2. Manual focusing.
3. At first I have no idea about f number so I think f/5.6 should enough and also set A mode (shutter speed calculate by camera).

I once again thank you very much for the comment.

5 years 1 month ago #629511 by Jan0048
:)

5 years 1 month ago #629515 by Jan0048

Monica Martinez wrote: Good composition! 

Thanks

5 years 1 month ago #629516 by Jan0048

Suni Park wrote: Keep trying!

Thanks

5 years 1 month ago #629522 by Jan0048

Adam Wilson wrote: Not bad for the first try...

Thanks

5 years 1 month ago #632035 by Steve Rodriguez
Nice pointers!

5 years 2 weeks ago #635199 by OlderSonyUser
I often take pictures of insects & flowers.

Anyone using a compact camera should press the close focus button so that the cameras auto-focus focuses only in the middle.

For hand holding, the shutter speed should be the same as the lens's focal length or faster, ie 50mm 50th of a second or faster, 100mm 100 of a second or faster,

Aperture gives more depth of field if smaller ie F16, F22, for a shallow depth of field try a wide aperture, ie F4, F5.6.

You could try setting your camera to Manual mode but the ISO to auto. Bear in mind higher ISO values give you more noise, so keep an eye on how high the ISO goes. With a higher ISO you will get more noise but sharper pictures. Bear in mind that if and when you print your picture some of that noise will disappear. Newer cameras generally produce less noisy images than older ones, as do dearer cameras compared to cheaper ones. Noise can also be reduced in post processing, though it also reduces sharpness. Even with the best cameras it is all about balance & compromise.

Older Sony User

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024