Getting the new macro out in nature.

4 years 2 months ago #672126 by [email protected]
Well, I finally got out for a walk in the woods with my new Sony 90mm f/2.8 macro lens.  Was a bit disappointed , in that I could not find hardly any insects or small creatures to practice on( unusual for Florida not to be surrounded by bugs in the woods!).

One honey bee, a tiny frog and a very young dragonfly is about all I could come up with.  Its been quite cool lately so that may have something to do with it.
No shows aside, I'm very impressed with this lens and hope to get out again soon .  Im gonna need to learn how to stack images in PS, though.

Marc
Make: SONY
Model: ILCE-7RM2
Lens: FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/11.0
Shutter speed: 1/30 sec
Captured: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 15:51pm
Aperture: f/9.0
Shutter speed: 1/3 sec
Captured: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 17:22pm
Aperture: f/5.0
Shutter speed: 1/800 sec
Captured: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 16:42pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: amatula
4 years 2 months ago #672166 by Nikon Shooter

[email protected] wrote: Im gonna need to learn how to stack images in PS, though.

That piece of software in not known as the better choice
for stacking. Maybe dare exploring the "made in Ukraine"
Helicon Focus and Helicon Remote  — which may prove to
be most interesting alternatives —  could be a good idea.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672302 by Kelly Emery
But really good though. I like the details in these macro shots. Btw, leave a space every after photo. 

4 years 2 months ago #672432 by Adam Wilson
Nice colors. The texture is really nice.

4 years 2 months ago #672555 by Kyle Johnson
I like the 3rd shot best. Nice capture! 

The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]
4 years 2 months ago #672880 by stevendillonphoto
Not too bad at all. You got good details without stacking. As someone already pointed out, and I replied in another thread, PS might let you down when you do start stacking.

4 years 2 months ago #673353 by Hannah Williams
:judge:  Nice set! I like the colors and the details in this set. 

4 years 2 months ago #673415 by [email protected]
Yes, I have tried PS stacking and it fails every time. I have read about Helicon focus but concerned its not compatible with the Sony a7Rii files( someone suggested I just convert to jpg, then stack that way....I'm not sure that will work. Also I use a Mac but believe Helicon comes in a for Mac version). Maybe you can tell me, is stacking the secret to getting really sharp images , or at least getting the whole insect in tack sharp focus? I just find increasing DOF in my macros to degrade the sharpness of any part of the photo. Advise is appreciated.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673416 by [email protected]
Kelly,
Thanks for the feedback, and yes I will leave space from now on( good suggestion)

Marc

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673426 by Screamin Scott
Marc, some nice captures. Just a heads up, the first image is a Damselfly, not a Dragonfly. As for stacking, that is the best way to increase the DOF. While I have Zerene stacking software, I seldom use it. It is an alternative to Helicon. PS stacking leaves much to be desired from what I have read. I have used Combine ZP in the past (it's free) but seldom use it. Yes, most all stacking software requires the use of Jpegs, not Raw files. Since I seldom do stacking, I use alternative methods like small aperture settings and having the subject parallel to the camera instead of perpendicular for maximum DOF. All this said, I just ordered a refurbished Olympus OMD E-M5II which has a built-in focus stacking setting...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673458 by [email protected]
Scott,
Thanks for the response.  I have tried PS one more time on a small fly without success.  I get all the images loaded, then say merge layers but it doesn't look like all the layers get merged and basically end up with a finished image that is no better than one of my single shots.  Here is what I shot this evening and its suppose to be a finished process photo, but obviously not.  ( I picked 9 different focus points on this fly....using f/2.8....this looks like just one of the focal points.  It was a very small fly and maybe I'm just having to crop so much to enlarge that I introduce blur, IDK.

ISO: 125
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 18:08pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 2 months ago #673461 by [email protected]
Here is the size of the fly I was photographing:

Aperture: f/2.8
Captured: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 18:10pm

and here is a single image shot:

Aperture: f/4.5
Captured: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 17:45pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 2 months ago #674040 by amatula
What incredible detail from the 7R II!!
I had thought I'd like that camera but had been dismissing it due to the higher cost -- maybe I should reconsider...
Thank you for sharing!
Enjoy!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024