First attempt using Helicon Focus Stacking software

4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #674488 by [email protected]
Well, its very impressive how easy it is however , I now realize that for a subject as simple as a flower, 6 photos at different focal points isn't near enough to cover the full focal spectrum .  There must be almost infinite points of focus  in a single subject !! WoW! .  Now I see the benefit of a focus slider rail.  Its all a learning process but I'm loving it.

Make: SONY
Model: ILCE-7RM2
Lens: FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
ISO: 250
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Captured: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 17:53pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 2 months ago #674489 by [email protected]
Sorry, don't know how 2 images got posted.....doesnt seem to be an edit feature after posting

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674490 by Screamin Scott
As a moderator, I can delete one if you want

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674496 by [email protected]
yes please. Thank you

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674515 by Nikon Shooter

[email protected] wrote: Now I see the benefit of a focus slider rail.  Its all a learning process but I'm loving it.

For focus stacking, I shoot around ƒ8 to give the most chance
to HF to produce the best results.

I shied away from rails and favoured the HR approach that is
waaaay less costly and has rendered spectacular stacks.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674815 by [email protected]
Could you please explain the HR approach( I'm still pretty new at this). Thanks
Marc

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #674829 by Nikon Shooter

Sorry Marc, just jargon.
 HF = Helicon Focus
 HR = Helicon Remote

This was done using HR and HF:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674833 by [email protected]
Ok, that's what I thought.

Thanks

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674840 by [email protected]
Unfortunately, I'm using a Sony A7rii which is not supported by Helicon remote focus.  I have tried doing some larger stacking with helicon focus with images shot from my Sony and as long as nothing moves I get some pretty good rendering but not perfect.
ISO: 100
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec
Captured: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 14:27pm

ISO: 400
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec
Captured: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 20:43pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 2 months ago #676247 by [email protected]
Ok after some practice with Helicon Focus, and a cooperative deceased subject,, I got some of my best to date stacked images using a Swebo focus rail.  47 stacked images rendered these....( possibly a Northern Masked Chafer Beetle)

ISO: 160
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Captured: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 20:16pm
ISO: 160
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Captured: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 20:08pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 2 months ago #676398 by Hannah Williams
Nice ones. Will try this one out too. 

4 years 2 months ago #676488 by [email protected]
Thanks.
Yes I really wanted the Photoseiki brand rail , but was told it is no longer being made . This SWEBO is pretty nice. I figure the next ( not too expensive) step is to get a micrometer plate and build myself a rail. Just cant justify the $600 for an electronic one right now.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683426 by fotoman515
That's a really nice photo and work.  Which prompts me to ask a question.  How did you determine to take that amount of photos for stacking?
Is there a rule of thumb you utilize or a specific formula or technique?  I'm asking as I am new to foucs stacking.

Thank you.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024