Black Skimmer Chick Feeding

12 years 9 months ago #107570 by Maxis Gamez

Black Skimmer Chick Feeding - S.W Florida

While photographing this chick, it shocked me that they eat the fish with beach sand and all! This one was shaking the fish left and right until it finally got it right. Notice the tiny rocks around the fish.

With all that drama, the chick was left with some tiny rocks around the eye which I removed in CS5. I only left the natural catch-light.

Hope you like it.

Canon 7D, Canon 800mm @ f/11, 1/500 sec, ISO 200, Manual exposure, Induro CT414 Tripod

12 years 9 months ago #107572 by The Time Capturer
Very nice! Excellent timing, exposure, composition ... everything. Great capture!

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #107591 by Baydream
Wow. What an interesting shot.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #107607 by chasrich
Another great shot. :judge: :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #107647 by Shadowfixer1
Excellent shot. How did you get 800mm? A 400 with a 2X?
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #107661 by Maxis Gamez

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Excellent shot. How did you get 800mm? A 400 with a 2X?

This is how.

www.gvisions.org/images/_03C7507_1024.jpg

12 years 9 months ago #107673 by fotozone
Outstanding shot. :judge:
12 years 9 months ago #107847 by Dori
:judge: Great shot!!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #108420 by bhowdy
Max - As usual a very nice image. Keep in mind that birds need sand or grit of some kind as a part of their digestive needs. Much like chickens peck around for sand .... and placing gravel pads or loose grit in a parakeet cage. This little skimmer is just combining all in one!

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 9 months ago #108521 by Maxis Gamez
I wasn't aware of that but thank you all for the intel!

12 years 9 months ago #108523 by photobod

Maxis Gamez wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Excellent shot. How did you get 800mm? A 400 with a 2X?

This is how.

www.gvisions.org/images/_03C7507_1024.jpg

Love the way photographers dont care about themselves in there efforts to get a shot, nice one. :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024