Toadstool or Mushroom?

10 years 2 months ago #143275 by Screamin Scott
Not sure whether this is a Toadstool or a Mushroom....One of several different types I found in my backyard this morning...

Also saw a lot of these ant hills. Not sure what type of ants made these, but I doubt that it was Fire Ants (a big pest here in Georgia)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 2 months ago #143284 by John Landolfi
Pretty shot of the mushroom, Scott. There is no way of identifying a mushroom from such a photo: much more information is needed, such as a shot of tne underside of tne cap, the stem, and, very important, the foot, whether it seems to be emerging from an egg or not. "Toadstool" is an old-fashioned term for inedible mushrooms. There are just edible and inedible mushrooms, among which are the most poisonous ones, the amanitas, some of which will cause irreversible liver damage before any symptoms of poisoning appear. I'm going on about this because they are so dangerous, to warn off anyone thinking about experimenting. Pictures in a book are not enough.
But they can make spectacular photo subjects. One of the Amanitas, the Muscaria, or fly Amanita, is the one often pictured with a Leprechaun sitting under it. If you find a red or yellow one in the woods, they are spectacular, and well worth you Macro mojo:)

BTW, this may well be a Chlorophyllus, which is poisonous

Photo Comments

10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #143291 by Screamin Scott
Thanks for the info John....As for the fly Amanita, I am familiar with it & have attached a photo of one taken out behind my house several years ago...BTW, I am also looking for the name of another species I found in the yard this morning....Look at the thread called "Three Amigos"

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
Attachments:

10 years 2 months ago #143682 by Hip Hop3
I believe it's a mushroom. Very nice macro shot! :judge:
The other picture to me, looks like a pile of dirt. lol

10 years 2 months ago #143694 by Dori
Well done Scott! I love the last one!!! :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D3X is a 13-year-old high-end camera. The question is, does it still have what it takes to be a pro-level camera in 2021? The answer might surprise you.

Nov 19, 2021

The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 was the smallest DSLR on the market when it came out in 2013. Is it still a decent option for photographers in 2021? Let's find out!

Nov 04, 2021

The Nikon D4 is nearly a decade old, but despite its age, it still offers a lot of features and benefits for professional and amateur photographers alike.

Nov 03, 2021

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you're looking for some smokin' Black Friday photography deals, we've got a great list of gear that you can get for HUGE savings!

Nov 24, 2021

Use these simple tips to learn how to photograph real estate during the holidays without stressing yourself (or your clients) out.

Nov 24, 2021

How large should I print my photo? This is a very common question, and one with an answer that is a little more complex than you might think.

Nov 24, 2021

If you're looking for the perfect stocking stuffer for photographers, look no further than the HoldFast Indestructible Journal.

Nov 24, 2021

There are actually quite a few ways to save money when buying photography gear. Check this list to find out three of our favorite money-saving methods.

Nov 23, 2021

In the 2021 edition of our Mpix metal print review, we'll take a look at whether this popular online printing company has prints that are worth your hard-earned cash.

Nov 22, 2021

These real estate photography tips for homeowners will help you perfect your approach to photographing your home - and photographing it well to get it sold.

Nov 22, 2021

There are many reasons why a metal print is a great holiday gift for photographers. Check out this guide to learn the benefits of printing on metal!

Nov 22, 2021