Upgrading 55-200 to 70-300 worth it?

3 years 10 months ago #684120 by Tami9394
I’ve recently picked up backyard birdwatching. My current lens is the 55-200, but I can’t get good photos from my patio. Would the 70-300 be worth the upgrade or would I still be disappointed in picture quality?

3 years 10 months ago #684122 by garyrhook
Which 70-300? Nikon makes 5 of them.

If you mean the DX G model, it will be an improvement.

If you mean the FX VR model, I have a friend that has that, and it's very nice. Much better than the kit  55-200.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #684185 by Tami9394
I didn't realize that.  I just googled bird watching lenses for my camera (Nikon d3100) and it linked me to one on Amazon.  It's the Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AR-S VR, so I don't think it's fx, but is the VR model.  I don't really even know how to use my camera properly.  I bought it years ago and never learned how to use it so it's sat in my closet.  During this quarantine we started buying bird feeders and really enjoy sitting outside watching them.  I grabbed my camera to snap some pics but they didn't turn out well at all.  Is there an easier way to learn how to use it than reading the manual?  Like a good YouTube video or something?

3 years 10 months ago #684204 by garyrhook
There are many videos out there for education at every level. While I like CreativeLive, you might not be able to find exactly what you need for free. But I recommend their site.

And, of course, there's material here on PT. And elsewhere.

Suggest you start by searching for "video getting started with a DSLR beginner". Also, search for camera groups in your area, and you may find meetings being held online for now, but something you could join later. A great way to meet people, and to learn.

Re: the lens. I believe that should be the one my buddy has.
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-70-300mm-4-5-5-6G-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000HJPK2C/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=nikon+70+300+vr&qid=1588786553&replacementKeywords=nikon+vr&rnid=2941120011&s=electronics&sr=1-3&vehicle=1970-39-2489
&vehicleName=1970+Chrysler+300[/url]

DX lenses (for crop sensors) are labeled as such. Given that you currently have a crop sensor camera, any of these options will work, but typically, the FX lenses have better IQ (image quality).

The above lens has been around for a while (2001) so its price is quite modest. If you want get the best possible IQ go for the newer one.
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-P-NIKKOR-70-300mm-4-5-5-6E/dp/B073V6HXZZ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=nikon+70+300+vr&qid=1588786553&replacementKeywords=nikon+vr&rnid=2941120011&s=electronics&sr=1-2&vehicle=1970-39-2489
&vehicleName=1970+Chrysler+300

[/url]Hope this helps.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #684211 by Tami9394
Thanks for your help and advise!  I called our local camera shop and he said AF-P lenses aren't compatible with my camera, d3100, bu the first one would be.  I am also considering starting over with a new kit.  Best Buy has a D3500 kit that includes a 70-300 for $700 and a D7500 kit that includes a 70-300 for $1200.  I'm thinking about buying one of those instead of investing in a lens for such an outdated camera, but some say kit lenses aren't any good.  What do you think?  He said buying a 70-300 instead of a 55-300 for my old camera was paying extra for features my camera can't use.  

3 years 10 months ago #684220 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Tami

As Gary ^^ says - there are many videos + general information out there

However- if you look into this site a bit more and chase up the bird / wildlife images here, you will find that many users are going to longer lenses. It might be to your advantage to stretch your requirements out to something like a 150-600mm lens and then your existing 55-200 will still be useful for regular stuff

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 10 months ago #684228 by Tami9394
So you would recommend that over a newer, better camera with a 70-300?

3 years 10 months ago #684294 by garyrhook

Tami9394 wrote: Thanks for your help and advise!  I called our local camera shop and he said AF-P lenses aren't compatible with my camera, d3100, bu the first one would be.  I am also considering starting over with a new kit.  Best Buy has a D3500 kit that includes a 70-300 for $700 and a D7500 kit that includes a 70-300 for $1200.  I'm thinking about buying one of those instead of investing in a lens for such an outdated camera, but some say kit lenses aren't any good.  What do you think?  He said buying a 70-300 instead of a 55-300 for my old camera was paying extra for features my camera can't use.  

So I had to go research this. It turns out that Nikon has moved some controls (that used to be analog, on the barrel) to menus in the camera. How annoying.

Here's an article on Nikon's site:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/which-nikkor-lens-type-is-right-for-your-dslr.html

And a link to a compatibility chart at the bottom, which shows that most bodies aren't able to use AF-P lenses. Sheesh.

As for why, better IQ, longer reach. While the D3100 is old, better glass is always recommended. And FX glass will serve you going forward.

Please note that the lenses you mention aren't the same as the one I pointed to. They should be superior to what you have, and will do well for you. And you'll probably love the D7500, but first look into autofocus speed on that body. I recall hearing some complaints about it.... but I could be wrong, so research issues on that model.

All that said, based on the sale info on Nikon's site, his quote is for the lesser DX 70-300 lens. You already have an 18-55, I bet, so why buy another? They're all the same. If you can stretch, get the body ($900 right now) and the newer FX version of that lens (AF-P is compatible with the D7500), or find the VR version used (they can be had pretty easily). The Amazon link I found had them for less than $300, which still fits your target of $1200.

I could be wrong, but you can still buy the AF-S VR now, try it out, and get the body if you're unsatisfied.

Just some ideas.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #684312 by Tami9394
I'm leaning toward starting with a new lens now and if needed, maybe upgrade the camera later since that seems to be the advice I'm finding from most sources.  However, I gave my husband a list of things I would like with a large variety in price, including the 70-300 and a Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, as well as, the two new cameras I mentioned.  I kept changing my mind about what I wanted and messaging my husband with all sorts of stuff, so it's hard telling what he may have ordered, if anything.  I greatly appreciate all your help!  Fingers crossed he buys me something, hopefully the Sigma.  Now to look for free videos for a beginner.  If he buys me something, I want to be able to use it.

3 years 10 months ago #684385 by Tami9394
He bought me the AF-S-VR. It was delivered today and I talked him into giving it to me now instead of waiting till Sunday. I will play around with it for a while and see if I’m satisfied or if I want to ask for a new camera for Christmas. Would we be able to trade in something as old as the D3100?  Btw, pics are already better than they were with my old lens. I’m going to watch lots of videos too. I’ve already watched a beginners video which was quite helpful for the basics. 

3 years 10 months ago #684436 by Shadowfixer1
Congratulations. Have fun with the new setup. You may want to start hinting for say a Z50 for Christmas. I think that would be a great step up for you. It's mirrorless, which I am a fan of but if not there are many other great choices from Nikon. Perhaps a used D750. That would be a good one to go to if you prefer DSLR style.
3 years 10 months ago #684461 by Tami9394
Thanks!  I’m very happy with my new lens. I’ve been taking pics with it since last night and they are beautiful.  Night and day difference!  I don’t feel the need for anything better at this time, maybe down the road. 

Again, thanks for all the advice. I’m so glad we went with a new lens instead of camera. 

3 years 10 months ago #684486 by garyrhook

Tami9394 wrote: Again, thanks for all the advice. I’m so glad we went with a new lens instead of camera. 

Also congrats, and have fun.

Generally accepted truism: always upgrade the glass first.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024