How to reduce shake in photo?

13 years 2 days ago #44760 by Scott Miller
I took this photo out over a lake next to where I live. At the time I didn't have a tripod, is there a decent way to edit the shakiness? I Have Adobe Creative Suite 4, Lightroom V3.3, and the topaz plug-ins.

Scott Miller
www.millerwebtechnologies.com

Weather, Nature, Cemetery Photographer

Attachments:
13 years 2 days ago #44769 by Cre8tivefix
Well with it being so black at the bottom you could just clone out half of each light. Better luck next time.

13 years 2 days ago #44772 by Scott Miller
I thought about that, but didn't know how that would look with this pic.

Scott Miller

13 years 2 days ago - 13 years 2 days ago #44803 by chasrich
You might have missed out on a few options for this shot. I shoot a lot of photos at dawn from a boat. The combination of a slow shutter and a unstable platform always seems to produce some jiggle and shake. I have found in cases like this a high ISO setting can be your friend.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
13 years 2 days ago #44835 by Rob pix4u2
Monopods work well as does using the marine shooting position and breathing correctly just like shooting a rifle- deep breath in ,exhale slightly, hold breath and shoot

Shot from a boat using the above technique

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 2 days ago #44849 by Screamin Scott
Really no way to correct it in post...If you get into a situation again without a tripod, try bracing your body against something like a tree, or maybe laying on the ground for the shot. Using a higher ISO won't always help much unless you have a more current "pro" level body that handles higher ISO's better. Otherwise you will find more noise than what you may want. Using a noise reduction program in that scenario results in some detail loss to compensate for the noise reduction...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 2 days ago #44910 by photobod
This is not meant offensivly but if you look at your photo there is very little detail in there to work with, in other words it isnt a good photo, (ouch that hurt me to say it) in these situations and the fact you are using a digital camera, try various different exposures, check your screen continuously to see what you have and above all use the breathing technique Rob has suggested, I even use it for wedding photos, its surprising how many photos are being taken with people huffing and puffing during the exposure.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 2 days ago #44968 by canon4me
:agree:

photobod wrote: This is not meant offensivly but if you look at your photo there is very little detail in there to work with, in other words it isnt a good photo, (ouch that hurt me to say it) in these situations and the fact you are using a digital camera, try various different exposures, check your screen continuously to see what you have and above all use the breathing technique Rob has suggested, I even use it for wedding photos, its surprising how many photos are being taken with people huffing and puffing during the exposure.

13 years 1 day ago #45018 by Scott Miller
Well, considering my Coolpix Camera doesn't have a way to change ISO settings, that is out of the question. While this photo may not be a good photo to you, it may be a good photo to me. Sure there isn't ALOT of detail, but it is a storm comin in at night, while it may not be a GREAT capture, it still is good enough to have caught a moment in time of one of the first storms coming in at the new place I live.

I use the breathing technique myself, however with winds of 40 mph blowing across the lake to me, it was still hard to keep steady. This wasn't on a boat or anything, it was on ground, I just needed tripod to have helped keep steady in this situation.

Scott Miller

12 years 11 months ago #48019 by Messhaller
But even if you shoot with a point and shoot you can still practice the techniques that the pros use. Not every photo you take will be an award winner., but if you keep practicing when you get your pro camera you will be that much a head of the curve. Just for instance I was working with my new lens at an Easter gathering yesterday... most of the pictures I took were not good at all LOL. But I had to remember that I am still practicing with it and next time I am that zoomed in I need to have a mono pod. Keep shooting and as long as you enjoy what you do you will "enjoy" making mistakes too !

12 years 11 months ago #48024 by photobod

Scott Miller wrote: Well, considering my Coolpix Camera doesn't have a way to change ISO settings, that is out of the question. While this photo may not be a good photo to you, it may be a good photo to me. Sure there isn't ALOT of detail, but it is a storm comin in at night, while it may not be a GREAT capture, it still is good enough to have caught a moment in time of one of the first storms coming in at the new place I live.

I use the breathing technique myself, however with winds of 40 mph blowing across the lake to me, it was still hard to keep steady. This wasn't on a boat or anything, it was on ground, I just needed tripod to have helped keep steady in this situation.

sorry Scott if I offended you yes you are right what isnt a great shot for me could be a great shot for you, at the end of the day whatever answers you get, they are only peoples opinions for you too take on board or discard, the choice is yours

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #48025 by photobod

Messhaller wrote: But even if you shoot with a point and shoot you can still practice the techniques that the pros use. Not every photo you take will be an award winner., but if you keep practicing when you get your pro camera you will be that much a head of the curve. Just for instance I was working with my new lens at an Easter gathering yesterday... most of the pictures I took were not good at all LOL. But I had to remember that I am still practicing with it and next time I am that zoomed in I need to have a mono pod. Keep shooting and as long as you enjoy what you do you will "enjoy" making mistakes too !

:agree: :agree: :agree:

www.dcimages.org.uk

12 years 11 months ago #48031 by Baydream

photobod wrote:

Messhaller wrote: But even if you shoot with a point and shoot you can still practice the techniques that the pros use. Not every photo you take will be an award winner., but if you keep practicing when you get your pro camera you will be that much a head of the curve. Just for instance I was working with my new lens at an Easter gathering yesterday... most of the pictures I took were not good at all LOL. But I had to remember that I am still practicing with it and next time I am that zoomed in I need to have a mono pod. Keep shooting and as long as you enjoy what you do you will "enjoy" making mistakes too !

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Even a small tripod would be a big help. A "Gorilla pod" type that you can pick up for about $20 can make a world of difference, especially on a lightweight camera. I use tripods, monopods and the "Gorilla-type" is various situations. Took me a while to learn these lessons but it's finally sinking in. :thumbsup:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #48058 by chasrich
There are tripods everywhere... A picnic table is a quadpod??? I've also used trees, sandbags, ladies bags, the top of the car or the edge of the window you can even lay on the ground for those lunar shots. Just attach the camera to something solid like your supported elbows. It also helps if you chant the name Manfrotto a few times. :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #48092 by Scott Miller
Since this photo, I HAVE picked up a cheap tripod. Found it on ebay for $11 shipped. No, it's not a huge professional grade tripod, but it works for my needs.

While not a lightning strike directly, this is the same area as in the original photo.

Scott Miller

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024