Apprenhensive and new to photography...hello from Birmingham, UK!

11 years 4 months ago #260994 by Tracy Blades
Hello everyone!

Although I love taking photographs in the past it has always been very much a point and shoot mentality that has propelled me. Please assume I have no knowledge on photography at all as it really is true at present! Recently I bought a Diana F+ camera and experimented a little with lomography. Whilst it does produce some interesting effects I have reverted back to digital and treated myself to my first serious camera, a Nikon D600 with a 24-85mm lens.

I have only ever dabbled and the array of menu options on the camera and manual functions is absolutely terrifying but exciting at the same time. I have joined this forum with the hope of learning how to use my camera properly, learning from your experiences and chatting with like minded souls, perhaps getting a little advice and critique on some of my work. All I ask is that you are kind with your comments! lol

Looking forward to chatting and sharing with you!

All relationships are reciprocal.
11 years 4 months ago #260999 by Meskill
Welcome here Tracy, you'll have to share some photos from that D600. That's suppose to be a really nice camera from Nikon, so you did a good job picking your gear!

:welcomeclan

Photo Comments
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #261028 by Tracy Blades

Hi Meskill

Thank you for your words of welcome!

Please find attached some of the first pics I took using the camera, albeit on auto lol.

Attachments:
11 years 4 months ago #261035 by Dori

Lovely, the second one is great!!

Alsi, don't forget to click 'Insert'. That way your photos will show in your threads. ;)

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

11 years 4 months ago #261056 by Tracy Blades
Thank you Dori! I've finally managed to put some pics up on my profile. Feel free to look and comment!

Can I 'insert' the photos retrospectively? If so, how?

11 years 4 months ago #261093 by John Landolfi
:welcomeclan Tracy! I looked at some of the photos on your page. You'll have fun and make great strides with your new camera! Notice how your Auto mode doesn't necessarily give you a good exposure. Try Aperture priority, and meter in Center weighted or spot for better exposure and depth field. Also, watch you horizon line, to keep things horizontal if they should be :cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 4 months ago #261101 by Tracy Blades
Hi John.

Thank you for your advice. I am off out today to experiment some more and try to learn about my manual settings.

Is there anything else you can think of for a newbie to work on in their first practice sessions?

To everyone else, the response that I have had from this site has been fantastic. You have been welcoming and not in the least bit overly technical and condescending (something which I have found with other sites when they are dealing with a newbie). It makes it far easier for me, a nervous newbie, to take photographs and display them for critique, and eventually (i hope) improve with some guidance!

Thank you!

11 years 4 months ago #261175 by John Landolfi
Hi Tracy. Being well acquainted with the camera and lenses has to be first, and I would explore them as much as possible, trying various exposure modes and shooting modes, check your lenses for best overall sharpness at various apertures, and testing the VR, all to know what to use and when. Shoot a variety of subjects, paying more attention to focus, exposure, and depth of field than quality of content. You are working for control... :cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 4 months ago #261178 by Squibble
Welcome from another UK dweller, :welcomeclan
There is an amazing amount of knowledge on this board and the mostly friendly natives are usually quite happy to help and give their opinion if you ask for it.
I've only been a member for around 6 months and have learned loads, looking forward to seeing some more of your pictures

It's a dogs life, yeah right!

11 years 4 months ago #261223 by McBeth Photography

It is what it is.
11 years 4 months ago #261291 by TheNissanMan
Welcome from another UK bod here :)

Never be afraid to play with buttons on the camera, they can always be reset :)

11 years 4 months ago #261460 by Tracy Blades
John, thank you again for your advice. The more I use my camera the lighter it seems to feel and the easier it seems to handle. I need to practice a few more shots and then I will post some more photos. I'm re-reading the manual but it just doesn't seem to be going in at the moment. I think that's down to the number of functions that the camera has rather than my lack of ability but i'm persevering lol. Work has been imposing on my free time so getting out in the early mornings or at dusk has been something of an issue. I'm starting to see photo opportunities wherever i go, even at work! lol.... I think i'm becoming slightly obsessive :D

Squibble, McBeth and NissanMan, thank you all!

11 years 4 months ago #261469 by Rob pix4u2
Welcome Tracy to our boards from a sports shooter in the middle of the USA (Kentucky) Lots of knowledgeable folks here to help you along the way. I am looking forward to seeing you post more of your work here and hope you enjoy seeing mine ( Hockey Save of the Day and Todays Hits)

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 4 months ago #261595 by Crammer
:welcomeclan Really nice to meet you!

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #266652 by Tracy Blades
Crammer and Rob, it has been some time since I last checked my messages on this site. A belated thank you for your welome :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024