My friend's thoughts on RAW and jpeg

11 years 3 months ago #269495 by jmk-nbsc
There you go! Never mind the grain, look at the improvement in color! Your adjustments just make it pop. Look at her eyes particularly.

jim.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leilanee
11 years 3 months ago #269499 by Lightpuller

Scotty wrote:

Lightpuller wrote:

Joves wrote:

Leilanee wrote:

Lightpuller wrote: The problem with that is that people print from jpegs not raw files. So your arguments don't make a lot of sense. Why would i need all that extra stuff that can't be used in a final print. Also, a camera should know the best way to process the information, not some program created by people who don't even work for the camera companies.

Like Leilanee said, the results of raw are not as good as jpeg. Seems to me my friend is way off base.

Thank you! I am way smarter than Photoshop gives me credit for.

I do not always print from Jpeg as others have stated. Sometimes I actually print from TIFF, a file format that you cannot create from a Jpeg image. Well you can but it would be a sorry TIFF file to print from.
First I agree that you can get great images in the Jpeg format, but you cannot really add information to that Jpeg, and a Jpeg will never have the same latitude in adjustment that a RAW file has ever. So if you screw a Jpeg image too much when shooting, and you process it to try and make it right, it will look like an over processed image, or under processed, depending on which way you had to settle for. As where with a RAW image I have all of the data of the image to process, and can get a better photo from a screwed one, this too is within reason, some images are just too screwed to fix.
I personally shoot RAW+Jpeg for the very reason that if I screw the image up more than a few adjustments will fix, I can fall back on the RAW. With Jpegs you have to intentionally make your adjustments before you shoot, to get what you may want in an image. I call it pre-processing an image, but even with that you can sometimes get it to wrong to fix it as a Jpeg. You should try it sometime shooting in dual format, and when you run across one that no matter what you do to that Jpeg it never looks quite right, then process the RAW and see how much more you can get out of it. Or actually how much better you can correct it.
To me it sounds like you all have been reading too much Ken Rockwell.

I went on Ken Rockwell's site and he said he has a left handed camera with elephant penis skin custom grip. I'm not sure I can trust him. Some of what he says is very good though. I agree with his views on jpeg.

I've never heard of a Tiff file, what is that? Can cameras shoot in Tiff? Do I need to buy photoshop CS6 to use raw?

lol please don't tell me that actually says that on his site.

www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm#lefty

"I even had a veterinarian friend in Africa who specializes in elephant care send me some phallus hide from the Loxodonta Africana (known for its flexibility and grip when wet) which I then had a local taxidermist apply to my camera in place of the original rubber. It took a lot of paperwork with the U.S. Dept. of Fish and Game but at least it doesn't peel off on my D1H as the rubber does."

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024