I'm brand new to PhotographyTalk!

7 years 10 months ago #482946 by JakeHare
Man this community is awesome! I've had some time to read through some of the intro posts, so I thought I would introduce myself as well before I started contributing.

My name is Jake Hare, and I am a California native living out in Missouri while I finish Bible college. Needless to say, I'm way out of my comfort zone but I think I might be liking it too. Slower pace, nice people. Well done midwest.

My knowledge of photography is somewhat between Novice and Intermediate, in the sense that I know the different brands of DSLR's, I know the specifications, and I know how to use them and their settings. But making the difference between a good or great shot is beyond me... so I hope this site helps me out on that! Can't wait to hear from you guys.

I have not been a part of an online community before that didn't involve programming so I'm not sure the protocols but I'll just leave this here and wait to hear back from you.

Thanks for all the help in advance,

Jake Hare
7 years 10 months ago #482966 by Fess Walker
Well welcome to the site Jake.  Really good to meet you!

-Fess

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483079 by Marin Chi
Really nice to meet you!

-M

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483110 by cybersholt
Welcome to the community Jake!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483112 by JakeHare
Thanks Fess! What's your advice on getting used to the platform?
7 years 10 months ago #483113 by JakeHare
Thanks man!

What's your advice for getting plugged into this community?
7 years 10 months ago #483114 by JakeHare
Thank you Marin!

Have any tips on how I should I navigate PT? How can I contribute to this community?
7 years 10 months ago #483116 by Scott Klubeck
Welcome to the jungle, nice grey suit.  My wife bought me a grey suit for my birthday last year because I always work the same black suit to all the white tie events we had been going to.  

-Scott

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #483119 by JakeHare
Thanks Scott!

TBH it's not even a grey suit... It's a $30 blazer I found at H&M with a hole in one of the buttons.

Also, you should stand out from the crowd. It's never about looking the same or even better.

Just be you.
7 years 10 months ago #483160 by cybersholt
Well put Jake,
Best thing to do is get involved, help people out, comment / critique photos, show your work etc... There's a bit of everything.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #484269 by Shadowfixer1
Welcome aboard. My best advice is to put your work out there but don't take comments on it personally. If you take all the feedback and consider it as a whole, you will become a better photographer. Now, not all advice is good or correct, so it will be up to you to sort it out. The main thing is, don't be afraid to ask questions, especially of people whose images you like. Most people are very open to helping a person out. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024