New to Photographytalk

6 years 2 months ago #567989 by Paul-Rossi
Hello,

I am a professional photographer specializing in bird photography, but I  also photograph other wildlife, landscapes and all that nature has to offer.  I am self-taught and have been at it over 20 years.  I have been active with Photographytalk as a vendor for about 1 week, mainly posting images in the Nature and all Wildlife forum and adding images and descriptions to my portfolio page.  I also post in the Landscapes forum and B+W and General forums.  I share descriptions and many details on how I get special images because I enjoy sharing the experience and my thought processes when I find great opportunity. I share technical approaches based on the situation at hand.  I teach how to evaluate that situation and prepare camera settings in order to simplify the process of attempting to capture a great image.  

I approach bird photography from a somewhat different perspective than many others have in the past 20 years.  The phrase "less is more" has dominated bird photography, but for me "more is more".  More nature, more habitat, more connection to subject(s) environment.  And especially more composition. 

Here is a recent post:
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
ISO: 400
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
Captured: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 6:00am

In this post I will go through, in detail, my thought processes and my actions when a good opportunity is available.  I aim to demonstrate how a well thought out plan may pay off.  When this shot presented itself I was driving a back road which had little traffic.  The owl was on my left side (drivers side) when I first saw it roadside so I drove well past it  - almost 3/4 mile, made sure no vehicles were around, turned around and drove well past it again, and turned around again.  Then I slowly approached the owl.  After rolling the window down well away from the owl I placed a beanbag over the door frame and pushed my 600m IS lens into it and leveled the lens by loosening the collar and twisting the piece that attaches the lens to a tripod.  I rested that piece against the beanbag so my view through the viewfinder was level, then I tightened the collar.  This is very important for stability at low shutter speeds (such as 1/320 sec used here), eliminating a  possible twisting motion of the lens. I metered the snow with the van running, well before the owl. Then I added +1 compensation and set the resulting shutter speed and aperture manually.  I saw the composition of the photo as I approached, adjusted the focusing point accordingly, and made sure to stop and turn the engine off at the right spot so the scene pictured would be captured.  From a different angle the resulting composition would not be the same. If I restarted the engine the owl would fly away. Without looking at the owl I cradled my lens and put a lot of downward pressure on the lens with my forearm while smashing it to my face somewhat.  I took as many shots as I could while stabilizing the lens the best I could.  I knew the camera would have a difficult time "seeing" the owl because it was so close in color and lighting to the background.  That is the reason for taking many shots.  Few would come out.  I took 20 shots, 3 came out perfectly sharp with the owl actually looking my way.

The beanbag I used is similar to this one:  SkimmerSack II Beanbag

In a future posts I will go over my camera set-up for bird photography of still subjects and flight subjects.  Its important to have all settings correct.  I will post videos on these topics and others so you can see all details of my approach.

I intend to share all I know with this community of photographers.

"Some see nature all ridicule and deformity...and some scarce see nature at all.  But to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself."        - William Blake

When you study nature as a scientist you see relentless imagination. But nature boldly and vividly displays imagination to us via birds. They occur in a mind-boggling variety of colors and patterns. They utilize an incredible diversity of behaviors to survive. They have adapted to virtually every environment on the planet. And they are highly visible to us, so we have been given great opportunity to witness and study these qualities, more so than with other wildlife on the planet. There is good reason to believe the “imagination of nature” is on display with respect to birds.
Birds have great freedom because of their power of flight. They are a prime source of inspiration for our power because they stimulate our imagination. No other group of living things on the planet has had more impact on man’s spirit and psyche than birds.

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
ISO: 400
Aperture: f/4.0
Shutter speed: 1/3200 sec
Captured: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 0:20am

I strive to share my imagination and the Imagination of nature with you.

Paul Rossi

Workshop:    paulrossibirds.wordpress.com/workshops/
Book:     beautifulbirdseup.wordpress.com/home/
www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Birds-Michigans...insula/dp/1684180953
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/beautifulbirdseup/

Photo Comments
Attachments:
6 years 2 months ago #568048 by Sean Robertson
Hello Paul! I have seen some of our shots already. They are really good. Welcome to the site and keep posting. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul-Rossi
6 years 2 months ago #568175 by Ian Stone
Been digging your work here, welcome to the board!

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568303 by Daniel Philips
Yeah! I have seen some of your posts as well! Welcome to the site!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul-Rossi

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024