FX Vs DX mode for noise

5 years 6 months ago #609654 by tgkelly
Will be going on a trip next year and going over the gear i need. I have the Nikon 70-200 F4 I was planning to take. Problem is for one particular shoot it that will be in low light it might be a little short on focal length. My thought was to use the DX mode but unsure the effects to noise it would have. I shoot with a D750 which normally handles noise pretty well just looking to see if anyone has any experience shooting in low light in crop mode.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #609776 by Don Hatch
Hello! Welcome to the site! Have fun! 

5 years 6 months ago #610017 by James Sencil
Hello! Welcome to the site! 

5 years 6 months ago #610200 by Tamara Dowell
Great to welcome you here! 

5 years 6 months ago #610410 by Amelia Wilson
Welcome to the site! 

5 years 5 months ago #610834 by Michael Blake
Have fun in the site! 

5 years 5 months ago #612303 by Andreau White
Nice to meet you here! 

5 years 5 months ago #613014 by Marcus Davidson
Hi! Welcome to the site! 

5 years 5 months ago #613164 by G Vernon
Hi and welcome to the site,
to answer your question there is no noise difference when shooting in DX mode as it´s the same sensor. Same as cropping in post. If you only have an F4 and really need more light then you can add off camera fill flash.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #613165 by tgkelly
Thanks for that.
Unfortunately the subject will be too far away to use a flash. So I thing I will have to make do with some DX and some FX and see what works in post.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024