Howdy

4 years 11 months ago #643681 by Howard-Twaddell
New here.
Bought my first real DSLR on a after Xmas special back in 2011, a D3000 i believe it was. Took it home, looked at all the buttons on the back of the body and thought "maybe i bit off more than i can chew.".
I did have some film/hobby experience previous. Took night school classes just so i could use their darkroom. Loved the smell of Fixer.
So within 2 weeks of buying the D3000 [or D3100] id found out it was THE bottom of the line most basic DSLR  available. With the previous experience i knew i had i thought id definitely out grow this body within 3 months. So i took it back to Best Buy and upgraded to the D90. [Back in our (my best friend and i) film days, i started out with a Minolta X-700, my buddy started with a Canon AE-1, a year later we both moved to Nikon's].
So i got my new D90 home and thought, with what i just spent for this kit im going to make it pay for itself and thought i wanted to do basic portraits.

Six months later i moved BACK to Southern California and for the following year was doing "group shoots". had a lot of fun doing that and learned how to use EVERY button on the back of the camera body within 3 months. The very first group shoot i attended i had to ask the host how to setup my Nikon. [single-point focus, single/continuous shutter, raw+jpg, etc].

2013 moved AZ, not by choice but i had family here. Ive been watching my cousin race stock cars since i was 10. within 6 months i was the new local track photographer and a couple months after that i was hired as the modified series photographer my cousin raced in. 
In the series we would visit 4 different states [CA, AZ, NV, UT] and over 10 races per season. Started buying GoPros and making race videos. Started doing interviews with my DSLRs. Had lots of fun. In Dec. 2018 the series director retired and the series was taken over by another group and was told they "couldnt afford me". I wasnt surprised. They have a reputation.
Within a couple months a race crew contacted me and asked how much it would cost for me to continue providing them with photos and in-car race videos. I gave them a price and attended the first race in their series last weekend as a privately hired photographer. 

That was all well and good but between that and my local track im still only able to afford my rent and credit card bills. i NEED to expand my photography into 1 or 2 weddings a month, high school senior portraits, etc if im ever going to be able to afford a D5 and a few more lenses id like to have. My best lenses are f/1.8's. Id really like to have 1 or 2 f/1.4's. My studio lights are all Alienbees which are ok but id like to step up to the next level, maybe even a couple Kino-Flo's?
Sorry this got long. ;)

4 years 11 months ago #643751 by Mayo
Hey Howard, welcome here.  So how are you getting new clients to learn about you?

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643755 by Howard-Twaddell
im not really.
Im trying to find someone i can practice with first, get a little experience, find a 1/2 dozen decent backgrounds before i go live and start charging, ya know?
At this point i cant even find someone to practice with but its not like im pounding the pavement everyday looking real hard also. i need to step that up too i guess.

4 years 11 months ago #643764 by Kelly Lambert
You should attend some photography meetup groups and sign up with PPA, or other organization where professional photographers are part of.

BTW welcome here Howard!

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #645336 by Jack Mason
Hello! Nice to welcome you in the site! 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024